Caring Letters Prevent Suicide

JDot

it's ok to have emotions
Forum Pro
There was a psychiatrist named Jerome Motto. He did a study where suicidal patients were either placed in a control group or contact group after leaving the hospital. Every so often the patients in the contact group received letters expressing care and concern. The control group received nothing. The patients who received letters proved to be about 50% less likely to attempt suicide compared to those who didn't receive letters. If those letters made such a big impact, it makes you wonder the impact a place like SF makes.

https://sparq.stanford.edu/solutions/caring-letters-prevent-suicide

Auri

♪ღ♪•SF Rock Star*♪ღ♪
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I love getting letters in my mailbox. I have a friend from my own city, we see each other every week or two, and we also send postcards to each other from time to time, telling about our news, as if we lived in different countries. lol

Last edited:

Nick

~☆ SF Arts & Crafts ☆~
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I love getting letters in my mailbox.
YES, this ^. A card, a letter or something in the mail from someone who cares is a big deal to me. It's stupid, but it really makes a difference. Of course I don't check my mail very often, so they usually have to tell me to go check my mail lol.

Auri

♪ღ♪•SF Rock Star*♪ღ♪
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
YES, this ^. A card, a letter or something in the mail from someone who cares is a big deal to me. It's stupid, but it really makes a difference. Of course I don't check my mail very often, so they usually have to tell me to go check my mail lol.
Yes, I'm also happy when I order something online and I find it in the mailbox lol. I check it everyday, we get bills and other boring things there, too.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
Not stupid at all, Nick. My mom sends me cards sometimes and I love it. I make cards and give them as gifts to my friends hoping they will be inspired to send a card to someone. Maybe I'll start putting stamps on them too as a nudge to mail them instead of hand delivering or just leaving them in a drawer!

Raven

Public Access
Maybe I'll repeat something haha, I believe SF helped me a lot, especially when I never got letters that express care in real life, maybe that's because the development of Internet. I enjoy reading the notification everyday because I feel I can be heard, and I seldom felt like that before I became a member of SF. In some ways, a place like SF, where we can talk about the subjects which can hardly be understood in real life, and be heard and cared, can really help people a lot.
And there's a big difference, I didn't feel suicidal as frequently as before, for real.:)

Walker

Hopper, Skipper, Jumper
Staff member
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Supporter
The perk of this with you is that we can tell you to go check the mail when you're having a bad day lol "well hey, why dont ya saunter on down to the mailbox?"

JMG

I really love that idea a lot, and yes it is always nice to know that someone is thinking of you and cares and when they take the time to show it then it can really mean a lot esp. if you have a tendency to often feel like no one really cares. Anyone who has been abused can easily feel this way at least some of the time I think. I'd really love to do that postcard idea with someone I wish there was a way to do that with someone here but I doubt anyone would want to cos of the risk of exchanging addresses or w/e but it is too bad cos I'd love that as I said I'd def. want to do that every week :)

Also, I agree w/ Sunday16 that it is NOT stupid at all that it would make a big diff to get something in the mail from someone who cares, it makes a LOT of sense imo :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00