Cash Sticking Out of ATM

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

You are walking past an ATM (Cash Machine) and you notice a wad of bank notes sticking out of the machine; obviously forgotten by the previous customer or a computer glitch has spat it out accidentally

So do you be a good citizen and take it into the bank?

Or do you either:

Grab it and walk off?

Pretend to insert your own card (not actually insert it as then you would be registered as the customer immediately after the 'glitch' or the customer who forgot their money) and take the money as if you have just withdrawn it?

I suppose we would all like to do the right thing and hand it in but.............

2. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

This has happened to me, I went to use a machine to see someone had left their money there, So I handed it in. :dunno:

3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

When cash is not taken from the ATM machine, after an allotted time the money is sucked back in by the machine and re-credited to the person's account. If you take the money prior to this (and you'd have to be pretty soon after they'd gone) then you are basically stealing it from them the same as if they'd dropped it and you picked it up and kept it instead of giving it back. End of the day, the money isn't mine so I have no idea why I would think it is okay to just take it.

4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Depending on where the ATM was - and what company name was over the top of it - If I wasn't at a bank directly I'd retain the funds until I could get hold of the respective company with a time and date - and if they then informed me that I had a local branch I would go through and hand it in.

For example - at my workplace there are 2 ATM's - and I'd be willing to hand the money to a member of staff there (if I was just a regular customer) - but it'd still need to be retrospectively dealt with by calling out the company who the ATM's are property of.

By doing it that way - they could locate which customer was the last one prior to the time I found it - as it would be their money left there.

Chances are they wouldn't have got that far away from the machine to not be caught up with if it doesn't take that long.

5. soulreaper

soulreaper Well-Known Member

i found quarters in payphones and vending machines, if I will take 25 cents, what do you think my answer is?

6. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

"When cash is not taken from the ATM machine, after an allotted time the money is sucked back in by the machine and re-credited to the person's account. If you take the money prior to this (and you'd have to be pretty soon after they'd gone) then you are basically stealing it from them the same as if they'd dropped it and you picked it up and kept it instead of giving it back. End of the day, the money isn't mine so I have no idea why I would think it is okay to just take it. "

Well Soulreaper that depends

If you'll take 25 cents would you take a substantial amount more from an ATM?

Maybe not as 25 cents is minimal whereas you may feel too guilty to take the larger amount

Similar to company perks

What is the difference between a perk and theft?

Stealing stationary a perk?

Stealing a pc & printer theft?

In reality both are theft but it is definition of that grey area

Freya has a very good point that you are actually stealing the money sticking out of the ATM from the previous account holder

So the moral of the story?

Give it back

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  7. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

To me; the right thing to do; would be to give it to the bank explaining the situation. They should be able to figure out who it belongs to

8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

But if it was on the ground and no one else was around I would keep it. If I saw it fall from someone's pocket I would let them know.

9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I would turn it into the bank. It's not "finders keepers." Imagine the anxiety of the person who absentmindedly left it there! What if it was their very last bit of cash? Using the time records of withdrawals, the amount, the location, and any camera feed, the bank could likely track down the person and return their money to them! :)

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm not gonna take it because it's not my money. I saw like $2 on the floor at school once, and I couldn't even take that. Someone else might need it more than I do.

11. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

I actually ran into a situation some what like this....on base there is a barracks laundry mat....so i was doing my wash and as i left i saw about 50 bucks, a debit card, a credit card and a ship store card just chilling on a washer. I could have taken all of it or just the money and no one would have known. instead i looked at the name and found some people who knew him and told them to go pick it up for him. (they were on the same ship)

12. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Aww man literally I would have to hand it in would feel so guilty except I would probably just keep walking and let someone else hand it in because I wouldn’t want people in that second to think I was stealing it, I would go on the karma scale and hope the good deed in turn gives me some good karma for the day though if I did hand it in!

13. ViolentGirl

ViolentGirl Banned Member

Wow, you guys are really moral.

I'd steal the money. The only exception is if the person was a friend, or someone who'd been nice to me at some point. Sure, the person I'm stealing from might be a good, kind person, but what are the chances of that?

Because I'd willingly cause suffering to someone else by stealing their money, do you think I deserve more suffering in my life too? Do you think I'll be punished for what I've done? Do you think life is fair like that?

14. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

'course you do not deserve that VG - only human nature to at least be tempted

15. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

This is the honest answer. What people say they would do and what they do on candid camera are two different things. Absentmindedly forgotten cash probably wasn't someone's last dollar--the carelessness indicates they're fairly flush, unless it's someone with Alzheimer's or something.

Also, it's easier to be moral and return it if you're flush yourself, even if the amount were large enough to help you materially. Morality varies by income level in our society.

In truth, I've found money or things before and done it both ways, returning or taking on different occasions. I tend to keep money, but return things--I probably wouldn't keep someone's lost diamond ring. Things like that seem to have an aura of magic about them, and trying to sell them off is risky anyhow. So, ViolentGirl is honest twice—punishment is if you're caught!
    ~ :witch2:

16. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Actually saying someone was the only honest person answering is judging everyone else on your own morelastic scale, saying well of course you would because I would. I maintain I would not for the reasons I stated. Even if I thought I would not be caught the guilt process that would be in my mind would be to much to deal with.

to give you an example when I was six I stood on a snail acting like a little shit, my sister gave me such a hard time about it, I have never even flushed a spider down the toilet or squashed a fly.

17. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

I apologize if you read it that way. I didn't mean to pass any judgments.

Of course, not everyone would take the money. I didn't say that VGirl's answer was the only honest answer. I do suspect that it probably comes closest to truth in the real world--candid camera experiments on finding lost money have in fact been done, and after the camera recorded their behavior, the people in the experiments were given survey questions. The survey results were more "moral" than the camera's.
    ` :)

18. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

I would take it into the bank and hand it in. It's always worth our while to bear in mind the workings of the law of Karma, i.e. whatever we send out into the world, inevitably returns to us. Therefore, if we vehave honestly in situations like the one under discussion here, it is very likely indeed that – should the same or something similar ever happen to us – our money or other belongings will be returned. Such is the law of the Universe and the sooner we learn to live within its boundaries, the more smoothly our life will proceed.

With love - Aquarius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.