Catoptrophobia - Fear of mirrors

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BeautifullyChaotic, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

All my life I have been afraid to go into a dark room with a mirror or other reflective surface, not just a heebeejeebee type of feeling, but a serious fear, the thought of going into a room with a mirror makes me cry from fear. I don't know where this fear came from but I really want to get rid of it, I feel so silly every time I reach around the corner in the middle of the night to switch on the bathroom light, waking my husband up just because I'm too scared to go into the room before turning the light on.

I even made my husband take the TV out of our room because it was reflective and was keeping me up at night and giving me nightmares when I finally did pass out. I have insomnia as it is and the TV being in the room just made it worse.

Anyone else have this fear? How do you cope?

2. kote

kote Account Closed

when i was around 16-18 id always take the mirror off the wall and place it facing the opposite way. i just found it freaky also i couldnt sleep!!!

however with the tv im the opposite - i need the tv on to sleep - it as if its grounding me to earth so when i have nightmares im still grounded and know its a dream as i can always hear the tv. weird eh!!!

3. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

I tried covering the dresser mirror with a sheet once, that just made me more paranoid. I just laid there, starring at it for hours, I could have sworn I saw the sheet move as if something was under it, just a bit though lol. I know how irrational it is, but for some reason rationality isn't helpful at all.

I can't have any sound around me when I'm trying to sleep, so I can't imagine any reason to have a TV in the bed room to begin with lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.