Cats & Dogs

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Fitzy, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I love my cat and I don't think I'm the only one on sf to be an animal lover.
    What I want to know is:
    Do they love us back or am I just deluded?
    Do cats differ from dogs in how they "love" their person (not owner - cats don't have owners, just devotees)?
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

My cat died 2 days ago and I am heartbroken so I know that love very well...they love unconditionally and do not care how I look, what I do, as long as I look after them...J
  3. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

I know I used to love my cat about 4 1/2 months ago it passed away,I would do anything to see pop again :hug:
  4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I have a cat, her name is baby cakes. I have had her 4 years this july, and she turns 4 in may.
    I got her the first time i was living on my own, and just as i had my first major breakdown.
    She isnt as loving as other cats, as i let her come to me when she wants to. But when i am low, and depressed and on edge, she comes to me, she usually 'brrrrr's' a little and then just sits looking at me, as close to me as possible. I also get greeted and followed around the house by her, so as much as she is indapendant she loves me, and I love her.
    tahst my opinion
  5. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

O no. I'm so sorry I didn't mean to upset anyone. It's as much a loss as any family member. X
  6. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Sheep - babycakes sounds fab!
  7. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I have a cat and frequently look after two dogs for my sister. I don't think that animals can love the same way as humans do, but I think by showing their trust in us and by wanting our affection, they are able to love in some way. Dogs and cats will show preference for a particular person, and not just the one who feeds them!

For example, my cat absolutely adores one of my friends and will go to extreme lengths to be close to this person, even though my friend never feeds her or does anything special. Equally, one of my sister's dogs is like my shadow and would do anything for me.

I do think that cats and dogs do differ in the way they show their 'love'. Dogs actually prefer being subordinate, and their favourite people are usually the person they consider to be their alpha/leader. It seems odd, but the more authoratitive you are with a dog, the more they love you! However, cats are more complex, and there often doesn't seem to be a clear reason for their preferences. So if a cat chooses you, I think you're particularly special!

8. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

lol, cats are like women:D they are moody, and you have to try hard to gain their affection every time.thats why they are so lovable, and interesting :)

dogs on the other hand are yours for ever, and stay by your side no matter what.

both are cool. :D

...also, rats are like dogs.
  9. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

i love my dogs. i couldn't live without them, cheeky though they are.
  10. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

I believe cats do love us back... and each cat has their own personality. My cat Dinky was run over in August and this time it killed her. The first time was as young cat a year prev and she survived, she had to have her right leg and her tail amputated but when she had recovered she was the fastest little thing ever, always happy and playful!
    She would ask regularly to be scratched as she couldn't reach her right side and as we needed each other she was the most caring and loving individual ever...
    human or otherwise. Her courage and cheerful attitude inspired me daily
    I am writing this with tears streaming as I miss that unconditional love so so much.
    The world is more full of love with all the animals in the world. x
  11. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Ditsy I'm so sorry about Dinky - she sounds so cute.
    That is so true. Animals kill for survival, not for fun or out of hatred. Why are humans so violent?
    The more the I know about people, the more I like my cat.

I also love dogs but my circumstances don't allow for one - I'm jealous of people who do have dogs.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

i think they can love us
    my cat died the other day and i know it's a special bond
    just because they don't talk like us or do the people can do doesn't mean they can't love :)
  13. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

My cat loves me too much. He's at my door howling
    Right now because I won't let him in. Lol. But I can't let him
    In because he loves to pee on my things. :/ but yeah..
    I'd say my cat is even more affectionate than any dog I've seen.
    He's a big weeny and always rubbing against my legs..or following me..
    or howling for me. And when I do let him in..its face first into the covers with
    me, and burrow into the covers like a burrito! And he loves to eat my hair.
    lol. He responds with a meow everytime I say his name. He's very smart.
    and a big Weeny for affection. :3 :heart: I think most cats
    Just don't require you to take as much care of them as dogs.
    But like dogs, each has a different personality.
  14. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your loss Blackcloud x
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  15. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My last dog, a shorthaired pointer would attach himself to me when I cried. If I was standing he would press himself against my thigh and keep looking up at me. If I was sitting he would rest his head on my knee and stare at me apologetically. I believe he was trying to cheer me up.
  16. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

i have a gorgeous dog, we got her from a shelter. i used to walk her nightly. i love her.
    since this happened my mums taken over a fair bit. i hate myself for it. i can't even look after my dog properly.
  17. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Most of my dogs have been Labs but my present companion became diabetic and insulin dependent.

I was shocked to learn that this disease affects animals in exactly the same way it does humans. I have always liked my pets but this one because I am constantly treating him for his problem has created an exceptional bond with me and I with him.
  18. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I have had a kitten for a few weeks and i adore him. He follows me around the house and sleeps on the pillow next to me. Not sure what i would do without him.

I also love dogs. My favourite is my brother's dog. She is the most adorable creature i've ever known. We have had some good snuggling sessions!
  19. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

U have a cat called Meadow and shes soooo loving its unreal. When im alone she follows me everywhere even to the loo haha and at nnight shes curls up next to me purring. When im very low and somethings on my mind or im crying or anything like that she will come right up to my side or sometimes right into my face and do this little cry, its like she senses my pain. im not even making this out to be more then it is, as since brandons been staying here hes seen it too. shes so loving i seriously cant even imagine how hard its going to be to lose her shes like my baby :( xx
  20. My cat has shown me more unconditional love and affection that any other creature on this planet in the few years that I've had him. I'm sure that your cat loves you dearly Fitzy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.