cause of death- loneliness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by justme107, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justme107

justme107 Active Member

I think it is possible for people to die of loneliness. To die of neglect.
  2. blade

blade Well-Known Member

ive never heard that before. i donno
  3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Its possible. Many animals, suchs as parrots, primates, dolphins, and other such intelligent creatures, have all been known to die from physical ailments caused by the anguish of depression. I think it is possible, albeit often unlikely, for someone to die of lonliness.
  4. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I don't think it's just a possibility, but maybe a common thing today. I think I've also heard that if you're depressed, you stay sick longer and tends to show.

Don't know though...
  5. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

If a tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

When you're alone with no one to hear you, you don't make a sound no matter how loud you scream inside. Essentially, it seems like you don't exist anymore.
  6. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree. Therefore, don't base your happiness on other people. That's a real prison.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  7. Sil

Sil Well-Known Member

I agree too. And it is a slow death. Lonely people die slowly every day... noone noticing...
  8. Kal_T

Kal_T New Member

I am proof of this statement as two weeks ago i had headaches, cold, dizziness and vomiting

well 2 weeks on and i still feel dizzy and nautious

in general i have noticed when i am sick it lasts awhile

lonliness may not be the direct cause but it is a big symptom of the results of such feelings
  9. louies77

louies77 Member

I am very sorry my friends......

I am not agree with you that loneliness is one of the reason for depression........ well it depends on the person how he is living??? Why he/she is you living alone? Is she/he avoiding others? Or they are avoiding him/her?? Did you ever asked these questions yourself and find any answers? If one wants to live alone he/she can live but if others force then situation will be completely different because there must be a reason for that situation.

10. ealdc

ealdc Guest

I believe that people can die from loneliness. My Great-Grandma died of a broken heart, which I believe is similar.

My great-grandpa died of cancer in 1991 and about 18 months later my great-grandma, who was as healthy as an ox before her husband died, died of "old age". We all knew it was because she gave up in life. She could walk fine, she went to the doctors every year, had all important tests done and was free of cancer and any other life threatening illnesses, and yet one morning she didn't wake up. Her heart gave out in her sleep and nobody expected it.

She died from loneliness. I think it happens easier for the elderly.
  11. letdown

letdown Guest

Yes. I think people can die this way or the feelings conjured up by feeling like you don't exist can lead to a physical death.

I hear what you're saying ealdc and I think it does happen.

The impact of neglect on children's physical and emotional wellbeing is horrible and long lasting- a type of dying can happen. That feeling of neglect can have the same effect in adulthood.
  12. kath

kath Well-Known Member

i agree with you totally.i certainly think its a possiblility.And also in many many cases a major contributing factor.

i coudl see myself going that way.Though im scared of people.......all people....
  13. TLA

TLA Antiquitie's Friend

Thank you for sharing that with us. My grandmother told me that she thinks my mom die of a broken heart. I did not get it cuz my parents were divorced for 30+ years. My father was her first love and losing him, you lose a part of you. I did not get it totally until it happened to me 2 years ago. Now, I do understand and think it is possible to die of lonliness, or heartbreak.

Only you hear yourself when you are alone, verbally or not. Your post is a good thought, VERY wonderful words.

But does depression lead to lonliness or vice versa?? I would think saddness in your heart, lonliness in your company can be a slow, hurtful way to go.
    It is sad to be lonely and unnoticed, unwanted.

You can be depressed and that leads to lonliness. You can be lonely and become depressed. I am quite able to be alone and travel, shop, go about alone. Yet, I am lonely and hurting. :sad:

Well, you need to feel severe loneliness in your gut and soul or beyond. Living, being, existing alone is one thing. Lonileness is lack of conection. I mean, when you are with your blood relatives, family and you cannot relate to them at all. You can be with your friends in a public place and feel lonely. Lonely is beyond avoidance. It may feel like wanting to break out of a shell, but not having the tools to do so (if that makes sense)

I would pose the question to others: do we make ourselves lonely without help, due to what we feel or have experienced or are or is it like for protection?? Who knows. Not me.
  14. letdown

letdown Guest

Perhaps isolating oneself physically and emotionally can be protection from getting hurt (but then the loneliness hurts). I think the important things are the reasons why one does that. And that's where it gets even more difficult and painful. Or maybe disengaging and looking from afar isn't a conscious thing all the time- it's the effect the outside has on us that is frightening?

I don't know really.:sad:
  15. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Yes, I think it can happen. Example; loneliness can cause stress, any type of stress isn't good for the heart and can cause sudden, life-threatening spasms. Loneliness can also cause high blood pressure, which is again, bad for the heart. Loneliness can carry other factors such as poor diet, depression, smoking, addictions to alcohol etc but it depends on the person. I guess it depends on the person, and how they handle it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.