Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Tiger, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Hey everyone hope you're having an okay day :)

I'm (finally) starting CBT soon. I was supposed to start at the beginning of the year but got messed around by the health system. Boring stuff. Blah blah blah.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone see has had experience with CBT? I'm worried that all these types of therapy are basically just the same as counselling. I'm fed up of relaying everything. I just want help now.

Does anyone know what it's like? What do you do? Is it helpful or should I not do it? :/
    MisterBGone likes this.
  2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Good luck with it!

I don't have experiences with CBT, but I do with DBT. (despite not fully putting myself into it last time...).
    If CBT is anything like DBT it will not be the same as counseling. I personally call DBT 'action based therapy' as that works more with coping mechanisms and how to handle tough situations.

I never regretted doing it, and I look forward to starting it again, and to take it more 'seriously' this time so it can help me.
  3. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

I done cbt twice and for me it didn't do anything. It seemed like they are just going through the motions. But everyone is different
  4. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

Changing behavioral thinking. It is hard work and requires diligence in using the lessons every day until you are ready for the next lesson. Imagine you stand before a enormous block of ice. You use an ice pick and hammer to slowly chip away at the ice. You make progress but sometimes those ice chips get in your eyes blinding you so that it appears you have made no progress at all. CBT is like that, but if you do the work you will slowly see that you are no longer the same, just as a block of ice is no longer the same as you chip away at it
  5. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

I look at any effort as worthy of your time. You may not find the cure, but you may find some relief.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Thats a helpful analogy, thanks :) I'm a very impatient person so I hope I'll be able to stick with it. I just don't really like the idea of 'changing' myself. It just makes everything seem so replaceable. Hm.