Celebrity Charities

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pickwithaustin, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I was doing some research on celebrities that have a link to suicide prevention type fund raising, charity involvement, etc. (for instance Mariette Hartley is one who supports mental health related organizations). In so doing, I came across a great list of over 3,000 celebrities with write up's about the charities they either assist, or that they themselves have started. The media tends to take celebrities and paint them in a bad light by sensationalizing their personal issues, but they often neglect all the good things that many do.

Link: http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity

On a side note, if anyone knows any celebrities directly linked to suicide prevention activities, please post reply! Thank you.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

As much as celebrities get kicked around many do in fact use their fame and popularity to many good causes and to help, whether it is donating simply name and face recognition or in th ecase of may large contributions in cash as well as funding and starting foundations and organizations to help and support those that need it.
  3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Matt Dee, a lifeguard from the popular reality telly show, 'Bondi Rescue" (which most of you all would have seen at one point or another) has lost his both his brother and sister to suicide after their life-ling battle with bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia not too long ago and has since taken up to raise awareness of suicide prevention and the hopes that one day, there will be a scientific understanding as to why schizophrenia happens (at which scientists only guess that it has something to do with genetics).

Here the YouTube video (although I must apologise that the video is more of a shitty song played throughout, but does contain some heart warming scenes dedicated to his sister and brother.)
  4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

And here is another, although a celebrity as those on the telly, but a local celebrity, who was a resident of Watsons Bay, just north of Bondi Beach. Here is the article, for those of you who would like to take a gander (and a follow up article on the same man just a few years later, which proves that all you need is a kind heart, instead of being a celebrity that you starts in telly sows and movie:

And the second article of the same man, just two years later:

Truly a bloke who not only possessed a golden heart, but one could say a living incarnation of an 'angel' that more people should emulate.

Names such as Ewan McGreggor, Charley Boorman, for their countless work with UNICEF over the years, as well as Celine Dion, for her vast contributions to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which she dedicated her soul to after her young neice passed away at a young age from such a terrible and so far incurable disease.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Thank you for the responses.

Celebrity involvement in these things is powerful and should be commended. The positive that comes as a result is tenfold of what they do to contribute of time or finance resources. To note, actress Mariette Hartley founded the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariette_Hartley) - I have always enjoyed her acting work. Anderson Cooper's brother jumped to his death in front of he and his mother (Gloria Vanderbilt), one of Willie Nelson's sons died by suicide, and Walter Koenig (Mr. Chekov of the original Star Trek series) had a son who apparently died by suicide as well.

So many others involved in so many other charitable situations also, but my interest and focus is on those who are involved in the educating and enhancing of the mental health related system(s). Unfortunate that the media tends to dig for dirt and distort, often out of context, celebrity activities... all time neglecting all the good that comes from so many of them.

One of my hero's these days is Michael J. Fox. What he does for Parkinson's is outstanding; knowing that in his own lifetime there will never be a cure, but with the hope that what he contributes in the publicity of his foundation may one day help others. Good stuff.

Keep any related input coming, I appreciate it! THANKS!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.