Celebs Need To Know There Place

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by mooch74, Sep 26, 2012.

1. mooch74

mooch74 Well-Known Member

I get sick and tired of seeing celebrities thinking they know better than us real people. What do people who've never had a rough day in their lives, think they have the right to tell everybody what to think, how to feel or how to conduct our business? I'm sick of it. There is such a growing divide in our nation and celebs contribute to it.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I do not know any celebrities personally so I do not know for sure, but it seems likely that celebrities, being people too, have just as many rough days as the next person - perhaps more since everything they do is subject to many people thinking they have a right to ridicule, judge and generally comment on everything from their ten pound weight gain to the break down of their relationships. I do not doubt that in some ways the life of a celebrity is better than that of an average person - perhaps if you focus on the materialistic - but I know I would far far rather have my privacy, know my friends are really my friends and not have to deal with everyone else's unsolicited opinion on my life than have all the money in the world.

I do not know whether celebrities think they 'know better' or not - perhaps some do - again I do not know any personally and therefore have never talked to one enough to know (though I have met several in the course of my last job and most were perfectly pleasant) and I do not like to suppose what people do or do not think unless they tell me themselves. Perhaps you are right - or perhaps it is just the media making it seem that way.

There is absolutely a divide in our nation - your nation - most nations. Lost of divides in many ways - divides in money, in status, in opinion, in attitude. I am sorry that the culture of celebrity makes you so angry - if celebrities make you feel so bad perhaps you could try to avoid the tabloids and tv shows that are focussed on them. What do you like to do? What makes you feel good? Try to focus on the things that do not make you feel so angry perhaps and invest some time in yourself and feeling good?

Take care and be safe :hug:

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If celebrities are not real people, then what are they? Many celebrities suffer many different things, the same as "real people" do. Celebrities can catch colds, they can develop cancer, they can become depressed, and they can (and have) died by suicide. Many times, celebrities who have either been through something themselves, or who have had loved ones who have, become advocates for cures, awareness, and prevention.

Anderson Cooper is a good example. The son of famous designer Gloria Vanderbilt, his brother jumped to his death in front of he and his mother when he was younger. He is a real person who has suffered the loss of a member of his family by suicide. He has spoken of it and in quest of prevention.

One of the best current examples of celebrities who have rough days is Back to the Future star, Michael J. Fox. His perseverance and development of a foundation to try to find a cure for Parkinson's Disease is above and beyond and is successful because of the celebrity status that helps draw attention.

I totally agree with you, however, that many celebrities AND THE MEDIA are bad and misleading. The general public can be sheep some times and they feed into it - and media/celebrities are always seeking ratings. There is good and bad in every facet of life, ever occupation, etc. For those celebrities who go the extra mile, though, and contribute positively to society... those are the ones we should focus our attention on and applaud them for doing something to help others.

4. mooch74

Yes, but both Anderson Cooper and Michael J Fox have lots of money and are revered for their names. Fox has the money to buy better health. Don't tell me. My uncle had Parkinson's disease, but since he wasn't rich or important enough, it took him too soon.

5. mooch74

It's not merely the culture of celebrity that makes me angry. Everything makes me angry. Only this celebrity nonsense is what is pissing me off most right now. I choose to honor the nearly 350 firefighters killed on 9/11 that everyone so quickly forgets about, instead of kissing the rich, spoiled, selfish asses of people who just don't deserve the accolades in my opinion.

6. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

Heh, celebrities know a different type of hard life. They know one of zero privacy, and infinite accessibility. You know where I'd be if I had the money for a real coke habit? After a few stints in rehab, probably living on the streets. Celebs certainly don't have the same problems, but they certainly do have problems. Pretty much just the types of problems that money comes with, but still problems--many of which are harder to beat than ours, since they usually come with chemical dependence.

7. mooch74

I'll take their problems over mine any day of the week and three times on Sunday. If any celebrity, or anyone else wants to see what it's like to be for 1 day, they would hang themselves.

8. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

Their problems would almost definitely be the same as yours, but with easier access to narcotics.

Probably not the best of things for someone with what I'm guessing is depression?

9. mooch74

My drug of choice is booze. Depressed, yeah for more than 30 years. What is your obsession with narcotics?

10. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

No obsession. They're just easier to become addicted to when you've got the resources to become addicted to them, since things like cocaine become expensive habits for those with actual budgets.

Accessibility is a major factor in addiction. Remove access to drugs, and a big part of the addiction is removed as well. Sucks when a dealer goes to prison...

11. mooch74

I'm not addicted to narcotics, so I really don't have anything to worry about it. If celebs, or anyone else get hooked on them, it has to do with their own weaknesses, more than I believe it does with celebrity.

12. pickwithaustin

My father died from Parkinson's Disease. It was absolutely horrible and frightening to have seen him hanging on at the very end. I commend people like Michael J. Fox who are helping to provide focus and funding toward attempts to seek cures to Parkinson's, and diseases like that. My father worked hard all of his life, he was not a celebrity, and he used health insurance and his own savings to seek treatment... but you see, there is no cure for that disease yet. I therefore applaud the celebrities who donate their time and public image toward causes that raise money for any diseases (Jerry Lewis, for instance), for support of 9-11 victims (did you raise millions?), and for causes such as animal abuse. How many charitable foundations or organizations do you as a non-celebrity regularly contribute to?

If you feel that Michael J. Fox has the money to "buy better health," then work hard and earn a solid living and put money aside in case you one day become sick or ill and need it. Why is there a need to fault others simply because they did well in life financially? Of course he can buy better health, what honestly would you expect him to do, not try to get well treated? The fact that he goes above and beyond with his foundation makes him a true HERO, celebrity or not. Celebrities are not spun from some magic garment... they are human beings just like you and me. A person's career does not alter their worth as a human being.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
  13. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Mooch, I agree that just because someone is a celebrity, it doesn't mean they have all the answers. People seem to listen to celebrities for some reason - perhaps because we hope that if we do what a celebrity suggests, we'll have some of the same good results they've had in life...

I do want to say that I don't think Michael J. Fox can buy "better health" - he can buy access to fast and good care, he doesn't worry about he price of meds, and he likely lives in a big comfortable house...BUT he still has Parkinson's, and that's not easy no matter how much money or fame you have.

A close relative of mine has Parkinson's, so I've done a lot of reading about it. Parkinson's is a condition that progresses at a different rate for each person - sometimes in spite of the meds. On the other hand, some people do VERY well on the meds. It is different for each person. Researchers don't understand the disease yet and haven't come up with a "cure" - but they have meds that help keep it in check as much as possible.

I've watched Michael J. Fox and he struggles more with sudden body movements and trying to sit still than my family member with Parkinson's does. My family member has less balance and less coherent speech. Who is worse off? They both have Parkinson's. I am delighted that a respected and much loved public figure like Michael J. Fox has a foundation that is seeking a cure. Kudos to him for staying positive and giving back to the world instead of hiding in his own circumstances. He gives hope and inspiration to many others with Parkinson's and other debilitating diseases.

14. mooch74

Pickwithaustin, first and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your father. That said, I am getting sick and tired of your criticizing every damn post I write. For your information, I donate to many programs like the Wounded Warrior Foundation, charities that help send children of parents killed on 9/11 to college and charities that help raise funds for first responders who served at Ground Zero (because our beloved government wants to fleece these men and women, who can't "buy better care"). Since I gave an accounting of my charitable contributions, let me ask you, what the heck of you donated to anything? How dare you question my patriotism or loyalty to causes I believe in and are proud of. Before you make accusations, know what it is you are talking about.

15. pickwithaustin

I am Chairman of the Board
    501c3 Certified Public Non Profit
    2010 Pick With Austin, Inc. - http://www.PickWithAustin.com
    We work to help educate and promote Suicide Prevention Awareness and are quite successful and recognized for what we do.

I am glad that you donate money to Wounded Warrior Foundation. I produced a music video for a similar organization, FREEDOM ALLIANCE. All proceeds from the video, which was created using... get this... ACTORS... was donated to that organization to help the families of our fallen soldiers. You can view it at: http://youtu.be/0lmA9waSryY

I have not questioned your patriotism or your loyalty (can you show me where I have done this?), and I am glad that you are taking part in doing something positive. Many celebrities do positive things too. You can't stereotype all people based on the actions of a few. I see many celebrities every day that go above and beyond to do work that benefits other people, charities, and non-profit organizations. Our foundation is actively seeking celebrity endorsement because that helps give more power to the cause and that power and the financial benefits can do wonders to cure the issues of the world. I simply cannot attack people based solely upon their ability to be financially successful. I can, though, applaud those who use some portion of their money to benefit other people.

Hate for others is a horrible thing. Let's all accept other people in their occupations and be happy and proud when they do something that benefits other people.

16. mooch74

Great Your Chairman of the Board,
    Do you want me to kneel down and tell you how great you are because I don't intend to. All I am is just a lowly little writer who it seems like you and the entire world, have marked contempt for. I have been picked on and disrespected by prominent people like yourself for years and I don't have to stand for it anymore. I know there are always exception to the rule, but it seems to me like you, being a pretty prominent person yourself, make apologies for celebrities as a whole. Everytime I express an opinion, it gets shot down because unlike you, I am not a Chairman. I'm just a stupid, worthless little aspiring author who one cares about.

17. Acy

Mooch, how did people pick on and disrespect you? What happened? It sounds very hurtful and frustrating.

18. mooch74

Acy,
    For many years, I worked as a newspaper reporter for a small publication here in suburban NYC. My boss was a complete you know what who treated his staff like garbage. In addition, the paper wasn't held with high regard so my career was made a mockery of by politicians, local celebrities and Chairpersons of the Board like the individual who keeps rising me over my stance about celebs. I understand it is not necessarily rational, but when you've been hurt and screwed over as much as I've been, you are right, it is very hurtful and extremely frustrating. I respect pickwithaustin for the work I'm told they do. I am just tired of feeling that I have to kowtow to anyone. They have not lived my life or felt my pain. I could go on and on about my personal struggles and tragedies in life, but I don't want to bore you. I appreciate your concern. It is nice that someone shows it. Most people could care less that I exist, especially rich, prominent persons.

19. Acy

Mooch, I'm sorry to hear how things went for you. Things like that can leave us bruised and more than a little sceptical about people. Politicians are notorious for wanting to look good in the press and for rebutting any reports against them. I'm sorry people interfered with your career. That's nasty. However, I hope you don't give up on everyone in a "high" position in the world. In my time, I've met some wonderful executives and some very nasty lower-ranking employees. And vice versa. So, I think, in reality, there are good and bad people at every level - seems like you haven't met many (any?) of the good ones. :sad:

Perhaps what happens a lot is that "tough people," people who make quick and firm decisions, often rise to the top. Maybe the top isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean, if the top has to be harsh, is that the place YOU'D want to be? For example, I would not want to be a CEO of a company that had to downsize and let go of a few hundred people. I'd feel terrible. But to save the company as a whole, sometimes tough choices must be made so someone tough has to be there to do it. :dunno:

Also, I have had a few OK bosses and one really good one. I followed his lead to guide the folks who reported to me, using gentle encouragement to get results. (Yelling, criticizing, taking advantage of employees would have made them nervous or angry.)

And finally, are you still writing? If yes, what kinds of things, what topics? If you don't want to go into it in this thread, feel free to PM me. :smile: And in the meantime, be safe.

20. mooch74

Acy,
    I've just about given up on life. The truth is, I don't really want to live anymore. I am so hurt and feel so betrayed by so many people, it's not even funny anymore. I don't care about my writing. It gets me nowhere. All I want is to stop being in pain. I truthfully wish I could die.