Change of job because of anger issues?

cymbele

SF Supporter
Just general musing here. I was on an interview where the interviewer mentioned by lack of stability in my jobs; i.e., 5 in 10 years. I pointed out that in three I had been laid off. One I left because the boss gave my work away to a co-worker who would work 16 or better hours on the weekend (I was at that time putting in 8/weekend) and I basically had no work for three months (I was getting paid but feeling worthless).

Tomorrow I will give notice for two reasons: 1) While I was given a satisfactory review I was told I was not getting an increase in pay until I did better, 2) My goals for work were to bring in new business of a type over which I have no control, and 3) I am losing ground in my skills in my present job. I have been at my present job for 18 months. If I leave my skills will get better and I will gain ground in my field and be more marketable. If I don't leave I don't get an increase, no chance of advancement or more money but I get to do 40 hours/week with little stress and possibly getting laid off since I can't bring in new business.

I have 10 years to work before I can possibly retire. I am being sued over a car accident and may have to take out a loan if the judgement goes against me. I took a pay cut for the current job but gained more personal time off. The new job would give me more money but significantly less time off.

Today the pastor said something about job hoppers having anger issues. I am super sensitive but can and have dealt with serious political issues at work before. Part of me wonders if I'm doing the right thing.

Any suggestions or insights for me before I give notice and accept the new job?

Alwayswrong

Hi! I would have spoken with the pastor.
I can only guide myself from what you're posting here. Sometimes we convince ourselves that xx is the right thing for us to match our feelings.
I'll try to sum up what you sai here:
PROS OF ACCEPTING THE NEW JOB:
- A higher salary, which will help you in case you lose the trial
- More related to your field, so you'll get more experience and become better positioned in the job market
- You suspect you' re going to be fired sooner or later
CONS:
- Less free time
- You might be seen as "zapping" from one job to another.
- (I'll add this one). You can never be sure you won't be laid off from the new job .
The 3rd ones in both present the same risk.
As you need the money, lees free hours is not as important as earning more money.
Gaining experience in your field seems more appealing than showing stability - specially, if you REALLY feel they are going to let you go anyway -. Many years ago employees who retired were awarded a watch for their loyalty to the firm. Nowadays they would be seen as rigid and outdated.
This is ONLY MY opinion. I would have spoken with the pastor, though.

cymbele

SF Supporter
@Alwayswrong thanks for the input.Kind of reinforces what I am thinking. Or maybe i wrote it that way. The pastor spoke that sentence in a sermon. Having little stability actually gives me freedom to change if the risks or the way I am treated gets me scared about getting laid off. Too many times have I gotten laid off and spent months looking for a job. I do need some stability in the workplace though.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00