Change of Major

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Haley-Elizabeth, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Should I keep the former major, or switch to the latter?

1. Liberal Sets

28.6%
  2. Computer Technology

71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haley-Elizabeth

Haley-Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Okay so I am taking a poll of who thinks I should change my major and who thinks I should stick with the one I have.

Right now I am majoring in Liberal Arts, which is basically an English major. I'm thinking I want to switch to Computer Technology.

My Argument:

Okay, so I'm kind of super great at writing novels and short stories, but none seem worth publishing. I have one novel I've been working on for years that I think will be my first to try and publish. In the beginning I thought it would be smart of me to get an English degree so I would have more credibility as a writer. Well, I was looking at some classes today and seriously got to thinking about computer technology. I've been supernaturally good with computers since we had those cheap blue screened computers in kindergarten. I knew I wanted to get a comp tech degree so I could make decent money until when and if my career as a novelist kicked off. Now I want to forget the English degree and go straight for comp tech since I don't technically need a degree in English to make my writing better and comp techs kinda require degrees anyway. I just wanted to know if I was making the right decision. Help?

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

What about a double major? Then you don't have to give either up.

3. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

surely it should be your choice in what you want to do hun.. which would make you happy? which would make you better off in the future?

4. Haley-Elizabeth

Haley-Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Ugh, seriously? I'm pretty sure i'm gonna change it to comp tech. Double majors take longer to graduate with and my grant will only last so long.

5. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

This reply may not be helpful but at the end of the day only you can truly answer that question. We can give our opinions but it depends on what your heart is set on. Think it over, you will make the right decision in the end. :hug:

6. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I would go with Liberal sets because i'm a big fan of english lit and subjects involving that. But you have to work out where your major interest lies, if your good at a subject that's great,but you have to be passionate about the subject to be able to pass with flying colours in my opinion. Good luck choosing!

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Both would be great majors love writing but if you feel technology is of more interest to yu thengo with that one Just remember it will be something you have to love at the end of each working day take care

8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think you would have a great chance of getting a job as a computer tech and since you state that you really don't need the English classes to improve your writing skills I think it's a good move to switch. You can still write and pursue that as well!

I have personal reasons for stating the above as I have written a screenplay but it has been nearly impossible to get any agency to even take a look at anything more than a couple of sentences or a paragraph. You already are aware, I'm sure, of how hard it is to get something published. So don't give up on your passion, but pursue a career in which you will most likely have a job for life.

If you want to discuss this in more detail, please feel free to pm me!

Take care and good luck to you...

Mike

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, from a practical point of view you need a comp tech degree to do comp tech but you don't need an English degree to write. I say make the switch but keep on writing.

10. kellylife

kellylife Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.