Change the forum name?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Viktor, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

I know it's pro-life forum, but suicide forum simply sounds like anything but that. It sounds more like forum where people are planning how they gonna kill themselves. I always wondered how you came up with such name. Don't you consider to change the name to something more positive? Or at least less destructive?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

People would not find SF if the name was changed, for instance how did you find this forum? I found it by searching for methods and am glad it's named suicide forum, apart from the odd trolls the name makes it easier for the right people to find this forum.

3. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

The forum was recommended to me by one person.
    Hmm, you're maybe right. But the thing is when i'm recommending this forum to someone, i always have to explain to him that despite the name, it's pro-life forum, before he gets scared off already by checking the link.

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It has been suicide forum since started - the majority of people come here looking for suicide methods- and we want people that are having suicidal thoughts to find us easily- it is named appropriately for that to happen. There are already tons of other forums just for support or depression or other mental illness- almost all it is against rule to even use the "s" word- so being named like this makes it clear what out purpose is - a forum for people with suicidal thoughts or considering suicide.

5. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

....and to help them to decide not to suicide. ......Right?

6. Wild

Wild New Member

I searched suicide methods, too.

7. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It's good for a few reasons. When people are in immediate desperate situations, a name like Pro-Life Forum could be off putting. But suicide forum might allow them to feel more comfortable about speaking their mind and heart.
    Another thing is the name is accurate, it's about suicide. There's no beating around the bush about it, it's straight to the point.
    It's also a primary search result. Alot of people search "suicide" into the search engines. The name will ensure that this forum is at the top of those search results.
    Also the age of the forum is something to consider, alot of people know this place as SF.

I think it's better to start off at a more realistic base, rather than fully optimism. Some people just dont care for optimism, they just want to be heard. Infact some people feel very turned off from optimism.

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Exactly - Somebody searching for methods to commit suicide will never click on a place called "Stopping suicide" or "alternatives to suicide" or anything that implies it will do anything other than let them get information about suicide. I certainly would not have in the mood I was in when i found this place. While certainly some pass by for the same reason- if they are not really thinking about suicide then perhaps some other places on just depression are in fact more appropriate for them anyway as many of the posts here would seem over the top to them. We welcome all, but the focus is on suicide. The fact that we want to find ways to end the pain that do not involve going through with suicide does not change that - but pointing that out before they click and before they realize they are not alone and not the only person in the world that feels like that would be counter productive. Only after they see the other members here may actually understand to some extent the severity of their pain are they willing to consider that maybe they can understand enough to have real compassion and worthwhile thoughts to be listened to.

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I dont think we need to change the name. I found it while searching "suicide forum" actually because I was looking for a forum with other people who were dealing with suicidal thoughts. Its pretty straightforward.

10. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Same.

11. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

And here.

12. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Ok, guys. Thanks for explanation. You do have a point. But i still do hope this forum will be more against suicide and not about suicide, if you get what i mean. But i know you guys advising people to consider other alternatives than suicide, when someone like that comes here, as i'm reading your posts. So the main thing is that it's pro-life forum :)

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I knew there were depression and anxiety forums, but I wanted to find a forum where people were suicidal like me, and to be able to discuss my feelings and be accepted and not be judged. So I did type in "suicide forum" but not because I was looking for methods. Rather because I was seeking help and understanding. I think it will also be helpful to people who do search for methods, because they will end up here and hopefully will be able to find help instead of ending it.

14. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I understand it's negative in some ways but that word is a reality check and reason why we are here.

But for some of us, we need a more discreet way to visit this forum though.

15. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

Since my previous response to the thread was deleted, I'll post again and tone it down. The name 'Suicide Forum' suggests that this is a place where people can have an honest discussion about suicide. If only the 'pro life' side of the issue is allowed to be discussed, then we simply cannot have that discussion. A discussion where everyone agrees, or is forced to agree, is not a discussion.

Which means not only is the forum name a misnomer (other posters in this thread have confirmed that this forum is not what they thought it would be when the found it on their search engine results), but in my opinion, is also falling short of its potential in helping the people who, deep inside, want to live. In order to maximise its potential for healing, I believe that people need to be able to vent their feelings openly and they need to receive more than a trite, one-size-fits-all answer in response. I don't mean allowing methods to be discussed, let alone encouraging suicide; but I would imagine that some people would feel dissatisfied if they've taken the time to be open about the distress that they are feeling and have reached out and all that they get in response is 'suicide is never the answer' and 'go and see your doctor'. An online outreach or community is surely most effective when it allows people to be themselves and to be true to their own values (without harming others).

I hope that I've expressed my opinion in a respectful enough way that my post is allowed to remain.

16. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Just to clarify: your post was not deleted it was moved by admin to letters to the management area of the forum where your query was addressed.

kind regards

lynn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.