Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by itmahanh, Nov 26, 2008.

1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Just get rid of it already. It seems to be doing more harm than good these days. If people want to talk socially there is msn or private messaging. It certainly isnt for any type of support or help so ditch the bloody thing.
  2. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with you. When I first joined SF about 600 posts ago (lol) it was a really supportive and friendly but now it's just a place where the less nice people of SF gather to bash each other. I think SF should be forum only, it's not fair on the staff and not fair on the people who come into chat with problems only to get called names or even given methods! A certain banned member has given out methods in chat more than once, was banned and then for some reason that will always pass me, allowed back.

I've also see chat staff kick people who genuinly need help, so let us help them by getting rid of chat. Even try it for a month? Yes people will complain, but more of those who enjoy abusing chat than using it propperly.
  3. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I personally don't mind moderating chat.
  4. Rockster

Rockster Guest

im in split minds here, on one hand chat can be an alright place and alot of people get on but then on the other hand you get the handful that ruin it for the rest like with everything else in life. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

i like chat
  6. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

i like chat too... quick way of meeting new people
  7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Didn't give this a proper read the first time round...

All staff moderate of their own free will, as I'm sure you know - we go in as we see fit, and if we feel we're up to it, and indeed, want to. With name calling in chat, we do our best to pull members on that, but naturally, what one considers to be a jokey term, another will consider a grave insult, so it's about striking a balance on that front, I feel. As for methods in chat - bring this to our attention, and the member(s) concerned will be banned from chat without hesitation.

Not sure who you're talking about, but it's our aim and ethos here at SF, to give everyone another chance to get support unhindered. If you have a problem with a member, feel free to bring it up in LtM.

As for chat staff ''kicking people who genuinely need help'' - we have to moderate at times, very quickly. During this time, we'll obviously make a few mistakes, but I'd much rather we do that, than allow someone to potentially spread methods / insults / trigger the whole chatroom. Also, mouse-slippage can occur, when we accidentally kick someone, when we meant to kick the person above etc. I've done that before - it's surprisingly easy to do.

As ''helping us'' - I think most staff who moderate the chat, rather enjoy it. I know I certainly do. It's long been thought that chat isn't the best place to necessarily get support - the forum is the best place for that, I'd say. Chat is more of a place to unwind.
  8. itmahanh

Maybe Joe, but it doesnt seem to be helping the situation in chat. Nothing against you or any of the other staff here. You all do the best you can. But if even one person (and by reading posts and threads it's many more than one) has been hurt or degraded by entering chat, doesnt it defeat the purpose of SF? Yes friendly chat and banter are great. And so many times needed when a person is in this forum. It can serve as a distraction to our own problems. But when one application seems to keep adding to the frustrations and problems of many people I dont see the use of keeping that application. I have heard that "burn out" for staff is frequent and wow chat would be one spot that would contribute to that . I personally just see it as a problem that cant seem to be fixed. I'm concerned more about the people that have been affected negatively in chat and has put a whole negative outlook on SF as a whole than a few who may be put out if chat was no longer available.

This is in regards to your post about enjoying moderating chat. Damn you are too quick! lol
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Hopefully we can try those scheduled chats again :)
  10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I think the staff do the best they can do in chat. Having been there myself I know that it's easy to occassionally make a mistake, or to miss something.
    I guess if you're in chat and someone is bothering you there's always the ignore function :smile:
  11. itmahanh

Sam I know the staff do the best they can. And I for one appreciate their dedication. But why should others have to use the ignore feature? If a certain individual is causing problems, then fix it. That simple. But it seems that it happens all too often that one or several people are allowed to toe the line regarding the rules and it just makes chat a very uninviting place for those that would like to see it as a place to just go and be with others or wahtever.
  12. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Hm. Support is given a fair amount. I do see, from time-to-time, people who need help being overlooked but I'm pretty sure it's not intentional and it's merely a result of a lot of other chit-chat going on and them going unnoticed. People aren't too often, for instance, sitting in other subrooms by themselves. I, for one, usually PM them at least when they're alone, as do several others I could name.

You can't always "fix" people's lack of chemistry, and you can't always "fix" people's personality quirks. I mean, they could ban everyone in chat who has ever offended someone by his tactlessness, but I'm pretty sure there'd be few remaining. There's a clash in personalities (tends to be the more boisterous versus the more taut), like anywhere, and it's monitored well enough to keep those offended coming back, apparently.

Generally, I'd say more people don't have problems with it than have problems with it, otherwise there'd not be so many in chat so frequently.

Either they could get rid of it and do a disservice to the people who like the distraction, or keep it and do a disservice to the people who are offended by the banter. Regardless of the option chosen, there's going to be some kvetching. And regardless of what you do about it, conflict is going to exist. It just happens naturally. Why get rid of it when the people who don't like it can just log out?

Whatevs, though. Just my onion.
    (Yes, onion.)

Anyway, :hug:s for you, hun. Sorry you're frustrated....
  13. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I've come to learn that along with real world the cyber world isn't perfect either. THere will always be flaws, mistakes etc. It doesnt mean it should disappear just like the real world shouldn't either. People have moments. Yes people are awful at times and I"ve come to realize that it's the same exact thing in the real world. No matter where you go, what you do, who you meet, etc. there will always be someone out there trying ot piss you off...even if unintentional.

I don't think deleting chat altogether will eliminate the problem. I think that it will just matriculate into the forum and the forum will turn into a battle zone at times instead of chat.

People argue, disagree and are rude at times. Though it's not nice and not acceptable and I agree it sometimes gets overlooked it doesn't mean it should be shut down for the people that want it and enjoy. Wouldn't that be punishing the ppl that don't deserve to be punished.

I for one use chat to unwind after working a 10-11 hour day and then putting 4 more hours into my nephew. I need chat. Some might not but i do.
  14. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Nobody is ever forced to go into chat and I'm certain any new members will soon suss out if it's a good place for them to go. I think those who want to chat should be allowed and those that don't can stick to the forums. I've had some good experiences in there and other times I've just thought no not today. Some people find it very useful so I don't think it should be closed. Maybe it should carry a warning "Enter at your own risk":laugh:
  15. itmahanh

This was just me venting but when I saw the direction the replies were going I started a thread in Soapbox. So admin or mods feel free to close this or whatever. Thinking of taking it up in chat (lmao).
  16. itmahanh

But new members of any shouldnt have to suss out. They should not be made to feel they are not welcome. And what of the memebrs that want to be in chat but again dont feel welcome or comfortable there? It's an endless circle no doubt about it. But with the member numbers this site has, something should be able to be accomplished that accomodates all or none rather than a handful dont you think?
  17. bornfree

bornfree Guest

I have been there earlier on for the first time.
    So far so good.
    Perhaps I have been lucky enough to come across and be welcomed by nice people.

I know from experience that chats can be daunting places full of weirdos hiding behind their safe keyboards. The best advise I could give if somebody is bothering you, is to report to relevant mods and ignore those individuals for ever.

Cyberland is filled with crazy people, but there are really nice people too.
    Let's focus on the nice ones.
  18. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think the chatroom can be a good place as long as there is always a chat monitor around, just in case if certain people get out of line and start swearing, bashing members or giving out suicide methods. The only solution is to have more chat monitors, but I doubt that this will happen. I also think that certain members are given extra leeway than others, but that's my honest opinion.
  19. itmahanh

Hey bornfree welcome to SF. And I'm so happy to hear that you are having a good experience in chat. Hope that you make many new friends and are able to find the help and support you need. Tons of not only nice but great people here(lol). If you ever need an ear outside of chat, feel free to drop me a line.
  20. bornfree

bornfree Guest

Thank you itmahanh :smile: