Check into a hospital?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by HippieHugsx3, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HippieHugsx3

HippieHugsx3 Active Member

I've been thinking about checking myself into a hospital to get help. I'm reading this book (It's Kind of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini) and the main character checks himself into the hospital to get help with his suicidal feelings. Well, I've been thinking about doing that myself. What would I need to do? I live in New York City (Queens to be exact) and I want to get better. There are no hospitals where I live, so where would I have to go? I've heard Mount Sinai in Manhattan has a great mental health programy thing (excuse the bad English please. ;-) I want to check myself in before Thanksgiving, which is the 25th in case anyone didn't know. Is this a stupid idea? And any help would be sooooo appreciated! : )
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you feel you would benefit from that then you should investigate it...there are many good hospitals in New York City...New York Hospital, Columbia Presbyterian and NYU are all quite good...J
  3. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I've read that book. It's not bad.

Anyway i'm sure there is hospitals in New York, maybe not mental hospital, but most regular hospitals have a psych ward. You can go to the ER and tell them you are feeling acutely suicidal and just explain to them your situation.

I also recommend looking into them and research to ensure you know what to expect.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have a friend who is a therapist in NYC, i can ask him if you like. i don't know which hospital he would recommend as there are many to choose from.

i can only speak from my experience, in ireland and toronto, i've been hospitalized for suicidal feelings 5 times. it is well worth it. you are in a safe place with access to a psychiatrist and medication. i always learned something good by being there. they kept me alive until the medication kicked in and i came around in my thinking.

i haven't read that ned vizzini book but i read his first novel and i loved it. how do you like it?

5. HippieHugsx3

It'd be great if you could ask : )
    And the books pretty good haha.
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'm excited to get the help I need!
  6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i just emailed him and asked. i'll let you know as soon as i hear back. wishing you well....

7. Juliaa

Juliaa Well-Known Member

First off, that's a fantastic book.
    I think it's great that you're thinking about checking yourself in, I think it's a great idea.

& I live in New York too!, In Manhattan actually. Just 30 minutes from that hospital.
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

just heard back from my friend. he says "columbia-ppresbyterian @ 168 & b'way is one of the best psych hospitals I know or St. Luke's Roosevelt on west side in 50's." he said just go to the ER and explain how you are feeling and they will take it from there. good luck and thinking of you. sending a big hug, if okay

9. DeepEmz

DeepEmz Well-Known Member

Its good that you are willing to check yourself in and get the help you need, i hope you find the right hospital, good luck xx
  10. HippieHugsx3

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going on November 26th. I'm actually really excited to get better : )
  11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Best of luck and please get the help you desire...we will be sending you caring thoughts...J
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.