Check This Out, let me know if it works

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Altruist, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Altruist

Altruist Active Member

Contrast Showers

If your feeling low energy, sore, physically unmotivated, depressed try this out

next time you take a shower after your done washing yourself, turn it up quite warm for about a min, then slam it down to as cold as it can go for for about 30 sec to a min, then back to hot for a min then slam that thing back down to freezing, do it 3 times (hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold)

This will put some pep in your step, you actually can feel more alive after and its good for your health, let me know if you try it!

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've heard of this a long time ago through another forum! Actually put it on my website because I thought it was such a good idea.
    :laugh: Actually I haven't even tried it yet. I will sometime.

Wher'd you here about it?

3. Altruist

Altruist Active Member

haha cool man, yeah its an old athletes trick, football players, weight lifters, runners, boxers, crossfit but hell it also just helps to wake you up and get you pumped so I thought I would try and share it.

4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Yeah I do this from time to time and altho it sucks it helps recovery from lifting a lot. You also feel really refreshed after. Def end on hot if you are going to bed, if not end on cold and you will be refreshed all day :)

5. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Sounds like an interesting idea but I can't take the extremes that my shower goes to in terms on the coldest and hottest temperature so it might not work as well.

6. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

Theoretically, sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I only have a bath. I somehow don't think it'd work too well...:unsure:

7. Mikeintx

Baths work too. I start with as hot as possible, then drain the water half way and start the cold. Go for as long as you can stand it and go back to hot. Works well.

8. Carcinogen

Good technique. Unfortunately I have no hot water, so you have to run up and downstairs w/ a kettle for the hot. Doing that, then letting some out for the cold one, then going back to running up and downstairs for the hot again would either make me so tired I'd fall asleep in the bath, or make me lose my mind completely.

On the plus side, maybe I'd have a cure for insomnia...

9. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Wow my shower must have this function built in, it always switches suddenly between boiling and freezing... just wish i knew how to turn it off :dry:

10. Mikeintx

As crazy as it sounds, you can also try filling the bath with really hot water... go outside in shorts after it snows and lay down for a little bit. Then run back in to the hot water and repeat. I have heard some top level athletes do this, hanvt tried it myself tho lol

11. Carcinogen

Genius! Now I just have to wait for winter...