Childhood eating habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ggg456

I was wondering if people would like to share the role food had when you were a child or before you developed a full blown eating disorder and how that might relate to your present eating problems/body image problems or problems revolving around food?

How were meal times in your family? What were your parents/caregivers relationship to food like? If you know about things like if you were breast fed and if you had problems feeding as a baby that would be interesting too.

I'm just curious to hear experiences.

nagisa

Staff Alumni
I don't remember my mom making meals for me when I was little. She doesn't eat much so it was like I sorta fended for myself. But then there was a time when we got fast food most all the time so we were eating that most nights. She was just too lazy to make anything. I guess she thought because she didn't want something that she didn't have to make anything for me if I was hungry.

I know I wasn't breastfed as a baby. She didn't breastfeed my sister either. Ummm... I always liked veggetables. LOL. I was picky about somethings but never veggies, lol. ...... except spinach. YUCK!!!!

S

Sycotic_Sarah

i dont remember much.
i had a very fast metabolism
so id eat and eat andnot gain anything
id have sweets
chocolate
ice cream
anything. i wouldnt gaina pound.
i was underweight too for a child.

G

ggg456

Thanks for your replies, us-a-ha-na and Sycotic Sarah.

Does your sister have an eating disorder or problems around food u-sa-ha-na?

I used to eat a lot as a child and as I was very active and sporty never put on weight. People always used to comment on how much I ate and how it would 'all catch up with me' one day. I have always been tall and as a child I definitely stood out for my height/weight.
As a family we used to sit down to evening meals together every night and be under pressure to finish the meal and a dessert. I became vegetarian at 13 yrs old which my parents weren't happy about but they tolerated....
Not sure that actually helps at all but thought I'd tell you anyway!!

G

ggg456

Thanks for sharing Slinkybinky

As a family we used to sit down to evening meals together every night and be under pressure to finish the meal and a dessert.
Meal times were like that until I was about 10 and I refused to sit with the family anymore. Even before then I'd pick at things and people would say I'd lived on air. I'd have to sit there until about 11 falling asleep otherwise my mother would chase me around with broomstick saying she'd skin me alive :dry:. I'd sit with a broomstick in front of me. So much for a healthy relationship with food.

savetoniqht

Oh, my eating habits when I was little 100% have to do with my problems today. My mother was obsessed with my weight LONG before she should have been even thinking about it. I've literally been on a diet pretty much all my life. She was more obsessed with it than I was growing up... I mean when I was nine years old I couldn't really care less about my weight, but she would be nagging me about it all the time. I don't really see her anymore, but she always comments about it when she sees me. (I know that wasn't part of the question... that was fast forwarding to the future a little bit.) My sister was(/is?) bulimic, which makes sense I suppose considering we did have the same mother.

G

ggg456

Thanks for sharing mel x :hug: Your mother does sound like she didn't have a good relationship with food and passed it on to you and your sister, or perhaps saw you as part of herself and felt she had to control your eating..:hug:

Her comments sound like they hurt you even now which is completely understandable.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00