childhood food

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by amie_1, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amie_1

amie_1 New Member

Does anyone revert to eating food from their childhood when they feel out of control?

Do I want to revert to being a child again because it was a safer time with no responsibilities?

Does anyone else feel like this?
  2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Yes....when I'm 'out of control' I eat toast with a very thick layer of raspberry or blackcurrant jam....also peanut butter sandwiches prepared in the same way.
  3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah of course. Nothing wrong with that- doesn't mean anything is out of control for me... I mean, cheese on toast, pretty much was a big childhood food for me.

N smarties, i eat smarties sometimes........

i was bought up drinking ribena rather than water, though i hate the stuff now :puke:

what was my childhood food? lots of dhal curry and rice and yeah spose this winter i've really got into making my dhal curry (and lots of other dishes) taste better than old decaying spices :laugh:
  4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I used to hate dhal....when I was younger my mum had to force me to eat it, I love it now, though it has to be the yellow moong....also nice with eggs in it.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:biggrin:there's loads of ways of cooking it. i've never tried it with eggs though.

when i was younger, my father used to cook it with just garlic, red lentils and a bit of lemon and salt and that'd be it. right now, i put loads of other spices (as well as tomatoes) in it and make it come alive a bit more.

i've never tried yellow moong, i've always wanted to try out all the other type of lentils out there but i've stuck to the safe red lentils for some reason:mellow:. i bought chana dhal recently and realised i had to soak it, before cooking it...:laugh:

sorry OP, i'll stop hijacking this thread.
  6. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate to admit it

I used to eat nothing but little goldfish crackers in plastic baggies and green apples during the times I was dieting...but when I was little I didn't count the calories!! Even today I was eating the goldfish crackers and the apples because I am used to them...LOL I feel so weird right now, like I'm re-living snacktime as a seven year old.

I also eat a lot of soup, maybe it's like I'm nursing my inner sickness and staying home from school or some other twisted stuff.

I work in a neighboring department to a chick who eats baby food, like little gerber jars of wienies and other disturbing shit. So we shouldn't feel that bad.

Oh and I live in the US and still love to eat dahl? Only the packages say dal over here. I make an ADULT dish with lentils, celery, carrots, garlic, turmeric, spinach, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, ginger, ground fennel and coriander.

LOL it's like I boil the lentils and throw in the whole spice rack. YUM
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:laugh: I used to do that with all my food

I've heard people eat baby food too, esp people with eating disorders. Don't see anything wrong with it personally, I mean, I eat lots of porridge and apple and honey :unsure:

I eat loads of soup too. Recently. It's just like you said, it's a bit like baby food in a way, it's a mush ya know? :mellow:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Sometimes I'll go back to childhood foods, but I tend to stick with childhood activities more. I'm still a kid at heart - I can't help it.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes, I do..when I'm feeling low I will sometimes eat popcorn lol, used to eat a lot of it when i was a kid and eating it now reminds me of my happy childhood :)
  10. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I don't have an eating disorder but after my girlfriend broke up with me last week, all I've really wanted to eat has been toasts that you put in the oven with things on and then cheese on top (don't know what it's called in English). Today I had lots of field mushrooms, lots of olives and lots of cheese on four toasts. Would've wanted more but there wasn't any more toasts. We ate this a lot when I was little. Eating this instead of something else has actually made me feel a little better.
  11. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I have never really stopped eating childhood foods. :biggrin:
  12. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I want to eat a Rusk now. Thanks. :laugh:
  13. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

my weird childhood comfort foods. . .Chef Boyardee Ravioli in the can! omg i love it. and brown sugar Pop Tarts. in the toaster and then buttered...

and vinegar/salt potato chips.

i crave these things when i'm depressed. ..but the odd thing is i never eat when i'm depressed....wth??? so i never eat them. . but they are my favorite childhood ''trash'' food. ..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.