childhood/ teens/ adulthood

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by emily83, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

thought this was a good question to put up for a debate.

what ages do you think that a child stops being a child, and becomes a teenager, and what age do you think a teenager stops being a teenager, and becomes an adult?

are you with the actual legal ages, or do you think diffrently?

well, my personal view.. as far as childhood goes, i don't think we ever really stop being a child... i think we all have a child in us no matter how old we are

as for teen/ adult, well.. i always believed you become an official teen when you enter highschool, and then an adult at 18- when you can actually rely on yourself and not really need your parents.

so what are your thoughts?
  2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

obviously there is the technical ages, 0-12 childhood 13-19 teenage, 20+ adult
    In Law the reason there is set age for culpability, age of consent, drinking laws etc, is to give clarity. The law acknowledges that each case is different, but that would make law far too complicated and near impossible for individuals to follow. For example, while you may think one child was capable of understanding their actions, another person may not think so. This is where we need the clear definitions.
    As for 18+, that again is only true to an extent, i left home at 16 and was independent and self sufficient at that age.
    In other countries, children from a much younger age are thrust into being independent and they do relatively well, however, we have to remember the ability to cope with a situation does not necessarily mean we should be put into that situation.
    Science has already shown us that in general the brain is not fully developed untill roughly the age of 21.
    In the UK i feel we have the age restrictions approximately right for general use. they have struck a balance between age and maturity for the general populace.
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Society general has it's own standards that work well, especially in protection.
    But in general it's up to you. Maturity is relative, but when taking key aspects of life, such as individual survival, or mental maturity the definition can be skewy if you remove age from the situation.
    Kids or young people tend to imitate and "want" and can achieve certain areas that adults can reach. But the major differences usually come with experience and the application of wisdom so you're not auto reacting to situations.
    This all being relative to the society and generally reflecting the natural physical development of the individual. In general.

The general ages I agree with Bhawk more or less. Similar societies so it makes sense to me
  4. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe that people fully become adults by the age of twenty. I have read somewhere that our brains aren't fully developed until then. Blessings..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.