Chiptune

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Joshy, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

I've been interested in Chiptune music for about 10 years now, ever since I was 5. But I've only recently been REALLY wanting to go 'full-fledged chiptune.'
    And I own some of the necessities, however I'm having trouble understanding what to do.. I have no knowledge of electronic engineering.
    Apparently on one of the forums it says something about having to put LSDJ (a popular program used to make Chiptune music) on a game cartridge, then into the Gameboy. I have no clue how to do that to a game cartridge... Muchless do I even have the tools to do so unless I were to bust it open and break the screws..

I have 2 Gameboys:

1 Gameboy Original (grey.)
    1 Gameboy Color (cyan.)

I have knowledge of using vsts and plugins to make Chiptune, so that part isn't so difficult. I've composed on Nanoloop before and MilkyTracker.
    I just have no clue how to engineer this project, or what to do at all.

Does anyone have any knowledge of making Chiptune?
    Incase you don't know what Chiptune is; here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k6a_ksWZqU&feature=related

It is music made upon using audio-chips from old video game platforms, or even making your own from scratch, and using a Gameboy as an instrument. Sometimes even Nintendo systems and other ACTUAL consoles, but the Gameboy is the most popular instrument of Chiptune.

2. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Hey Joshy,

I share your love of chiptunes! It looks like LSDJ is no longer available to purchase as a cart anymore. Looks like the only option is buying the rom for use with an emulator.
    From the site it looks like you can buy a programmable cart and flash the rom to it. I found one site that looks like they have. I will PM you the site. Not sure if links are allowed on this forum.

3. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

Thank you, it's what I was looking for actually. I knew they don't sell them anymore. I was just wondering exactly how to personally put LSDJ on a programmable cartridge, myself.
    I've also seen that some Gameboys have many amazing mods to them such as a colored lit screen, different audio cable inputs, and I've also seen some weird stuff where there is like a NES cartridge cut half open from the top and it uses NES audio chips or something... Chiptune fascinates me but with my SID I think it's very difficult to figure out, especially considering Chiptune isn't as popular in this generation. :/

4. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say chiptunes are not popular, but it seems to be pretty underground.

You got to start some where, so I would worry about learning how to mod stuff in one day. Best thing I can think of is to find other people (maybe locally) that share some of the same passions you do (about electronics or chiptunes).

5. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

I live in the fucking state of country music, modern pop, and that 'hipster-scene' metalcore/screamo crap. It fucking sucks here and everyone calls ALL EDM genre's "Techno" when Techno is it's own sub-genre of EDM. It pisses me off so much... :/

So local people is out of the question, as well as considering I'm fucking home-schooled which is complete shit. -,-"

I just wish I could figure this junk out... I don't like the limited applications and programs for PC and Apple products. It's so limited and boring.
    I REALLY want to get into the modding part and make full-fledged Chiptune..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.