Chlorpromazine?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by tiggersafire, Jun 25, 2013.

1. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I was switched to this med yesterday because Seroquel was making me gain too much weight, so my psychiatrist took me off the Seroquel and Nozinan, left me on Haldol, and added Chlorpromazine. She said its an antipsychotic and will also help me sleep. Has anyone had any experience with this med? Either good or bad?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope it works hun it is a good one to keep the weight off if you are struggling with that. Let us know how it goes ok hugs

3. tiggersafire

Thanks TE. I'm hoping it won't make me gain any more weight, Seroquel was horrible for that.. I gained at least 40 pounds :(

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I was on it for quite some time. It makes you gain weight like crazy and it does help with sleep. It will make you drowsy. I was on 300mg a day, usually people are only prescribed 25mg three times a day, so I was on a massive dose, just my experience..I would like to also add I will never take this drug again, it made me so drowsy one day that I fell asleep into my dinner in a posh restaurant. Hope this does not happen to you. It works for a lot of people, its great for anxiety too.

5. tiggersafire

That's odd, my psychiatrist said it wouldn't make me gain as much weight as the Seroquel.. It's supposed to be for sleep and an antipsychotic for me. She started me on a low dose, 50mg at night. I hope it doesn't make me tired during the day.

6. Petal

:hug: good luck to you. I find each psych will give you a different answer but my own consultant psych told me chlorpromazine *can* cause rapid weight gain. Does not mean it will happen to you, and if concerned talk to pdoc about it, hugs :)

7. tiggersafire

My psychiatrist said it won't make me gain weight like Seroquel, so I'm just hoping she is right. My grandma doesn't pick my meds for the week up until Sunday, so I'll have to wait until Sunday night to know whether it will work or not I guess. Thanks for the hugs and well wishes Music, hugs back to you :)

8. Petal

I guess you start on then today :) Please let me know how you get on with chlorpromazine, I'm interested to know :) :hug:

9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It sucks to gain weight, especially when you have the psychosis symptoms, Do let us know how it works for you!

10. tiggersafire

Well I stopped one of my morning antipsychotics, Nozinan, today and I haven't had any psychotic symptoms return, so that's good. I take the Chlorpromazine tonight.. I will let you guys know in the morning how it went. Thanks for the well wishes and support :)

11. tiggersafire

I took the Chlorpromazine last night, and it took about an hour to knock me out. I slept from 10pm to 9am. So I'd say it worked. I don't feel drowsy today either.. So far.