Chocolate madness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Borrowed time*, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

Im not sure if any one else has this problem but im just after a bit of advise. I absoloutely love chocolate but only really chocolate bars. I can go months only eating 1 meal a day and filling the rest of the day with family size chocolate bars. I have to keep some chocolate on my bedside table incase i wake up with the munchies. The only way i have found of stopping is eating so much over 2 weeks that i feel physically sick then i start eating meals again and wont touch chocolate at all. If some one so much as offers me a malteaser i have to run to the shop to get more and the cycle starts all over again. I know this is affecting my health really bad but i cant seem to stop.

As you can probably guess im what doctors would class as morbidly obese, im constantly being told not to eat cakes, crisps, biscuits and sweets. I dont eat any of this anyway except for the chocolate and even though i cant remember my mum tells me i was the same as a child. Im tall so i carry it fairly well and dont look as big as i actually am. I dont mind being big, i actually prefer being curvy i just dont like how big iv got.
    I have got methods for helping with the cravings but they never seem to last long.
    If any one can advise me on how to stop i would be extremely grateful

2. 000000

000000 Well-Known Member

Oh, I know about that damn chocolate. I'm hopelessly addicted and eat it every single day but fortunately it doesn't make me put on very much weight.

A choc bar with a cup of tea is sheer nirvana.

But unless you have something to substitute it with (be it an activity or indulgence) then you will have to simply have to beat it the hard way - willpower. Just like smoking or alcohol, that is the only real method to combat an addiction.

3. Borrowed time*

Its safe to say i have no will power
    Thank you for the reply

4. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

a bit of chocolate isnt bad, it contains loads of magnesium, but damn 1 meal a day that sounds like a serius addiction...
    there are plenty of site's about chocolate craving, this being one of them. perhaps you are able to find some usable advice there

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  5. Borrowed time*

Thank you, i didnt realise there were site for this kind of addiction, there are a couple of good methods on that site i will try. I know people say they are chocoholics but i never know if they mean to the same extent as me. I will deffinately do some searches on the subject.

6. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I can relate to what you are saying. I've eaten chocolate, lots, almost every day for as long as I can remember, and I'd rather cut back on the meals than the chocolate.

7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying about chocolate...I'm a chocoholic but not as bad as I used to be...
    I've started buying only one small (pocket sized) bar a day so that's all I could eat because if it's in the house I will eat every skeric in one sitting.....
    it takes willpower not to go to the shops for more but I found it worked for me...
    now i can go days without chocolate...instead of eating it all day
    it's cheaper to buy the big blocks but I resist the temptation because I know I'll eat it all at once..

same with cake..I buy one small cake instead of a whole big cake ..

8. Borrowed time*

Thank you everyone for the replys
    Sometimes i dont think i will stop until i pop.........ironically the only time i dont want chocolate is around easter. All those easter eggs just make me feel sick. Christmas on the other hand my mum knows to hide the choc coins:rolleyes:

9. Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky Well-Known Member

Why do you only eat 1 meal a day? That probably pretty much explains it.

I get cravings for chocolate at times. I went into a craving recently, I went and bought a couple chocolate bars the other night. If you are going to eat chocolate at least stick with dark chocolate. It's healthier and more satisfying so you don't feel like you need to eat so much of it. Those candy bars are more addictive and I don't think milk chocolate has much if any benefits. I used to dislike dark chocolate for it's bitterness but when I cut back on sweets I grew accustomed to the bitterness and like it better now. Tastes can change, I think it's just habit.

10. Borrowed time*

I only have 1 meal a day because im either not hungry or im some where i dont feel comfortable eating. Pretty much explains what? The reason im fat or the reason i crave chocolate?
    Thanks for the idea about dark chocolate, im the only person in my family that loves it.

11. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I can identify, Hun. A lot of days I feel so blah and have no appetite and the only thing that about always sounds good is chocolate, and if I could live on just chocolate and lose weight, I would... But unfortunately no way for me to lose weight that way. In an ideal world with justice chocolate would burn calories, not add weight. lol. Also, nutritionists and doctors will generally tell you it's better to eat several small healthy meals a day, starting in the morning, to aid your metabolism.

12. Borrowed time*

The funny thing is iv done it before by having small meals, i know i can lose weight but then i hit one of my lows, feel really fat and think well if im fat i might aswell eat like a fat person. I just dont see a point when im like this, i cant see a future with a partner so whats the point of losing weight. Iv been going through this since i was 11 when my doctor put me on my first diet, nothing but salad and porridge :eeew:
    I just dont enjoy food any more and stick to the same stuff all the time. Its like what Blue Sky said its just habit. Im hoping if i can get my moods sorted ill be able to develop a healthier approach to food.

13. Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky Well-Known Member

I meant the cravings, but actually it probably explains both. It's ok to skip meals if your not hungry but doing it on a regular basis can cause a lot of problems. It can make it so hard to lose weight cause your body ends up eating the muscles and not the fat and you need muscle to burn fat, it slows down your metabolism and keeping your blood sugar levels normal by eating steady will help with the cravings, you're probably craving the sugar in the chocolate more than the chocolate itself. And don't try to sort your moods out first, you're poor eating is probably partly responsible for them. Having fluctuating blood sugar levels can make you feel up and down causing mood swings. It's important to take care of the body because it affects the mind and vice versa.

14. Borrowed time*

What you are saying makes sense but i just dont care any more.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply

15. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Sometimes even straight after a meal i still crave food even though i'm not even hungry, i find chewing gum can help those thoughts pass. Maybe worth a try, stock up on gum and always carry some in your pocket for when your crave.

16. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I stopped because it cost me money.

I'm notoriously cheap.

17. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

How about Cognitive Behaviour Therapy? I am going to ask my doctor about it for overeating when I see her next- people I've known who've had it said they felt better after just the first session.

It's always psychological, not physical, these addictions. It's what's inside your mind that needs help. I know, because I'm desperate!

18. Noodle

Noodle Active Member

Damn that sounds like a good idea lol!

19. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

Move further away from the shop?

20. Borrowed time*

I don't go to local shops and I pass by about 6 supermarkets on the way home from work.
    Honestly it's ok I'm not bothered by it n e more I'm just going to keep doing what ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.