Christian Doctors vs Clergy: might trigger

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by reborn1961, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

First let me start by saying this is not a religious debate so I hope all will respect that.

I have been through various therapist. I recently have a Christian doctor.
    I am wondering about clergy. I have described what I am looking at below:

Christian Doctor: A licensed psychologist (normally has PHd) that counsels with a Christion perspective but attends to documented disorders such as depression and bipolar.

Clergy (pastoral): A priest, pastor, or minister that is also trained in counseling various issues.

I have worked with Christian doctors but am considering switching to clergy in hopes my mind will heal as I draw closer to God. I do not have experience talking to clergy and was wondering if anyone here has and what they thought. Thank you in advance for your input. Take care.

2. Robin

Robin Guest

I would say why can't you benefit from the experience of a christian dr and a clergyman?

I doubt the average clergy would be able to offer practical help with your symptoms but they can be there for you emotionally and be able to provide comfort whereas your dr may not have the time to go so deep into such things.

3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I had a spiritual director who was a priest. It was like counselling-lite plus the religious aspect, but he majorly put his foot in it a few times AND became a friend too, which in retrospect was a problem due to lack of boundaries. Most ordinary clergy are not trained to the level of dealing with people on a regular basis who have quite serious mental health problems. I would say keep your Christian practitioner and have a priest for spiritual support in addition.

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. I'm a Catholic, so I've been to confession quite a few times :) A good priest can be very understanding and supportive and hey, it's free!

5. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I will try using both for support and see if that is helpful. Take care.

6. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

why does it matter if they are christians?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.