Christian views on suicide

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Growling Badger, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello. I did look through old threads but couldn't find a similar one.

I've wondered for sometime now what people believe the Christian God's attitude would be to suicide.

Do you go to hell? Are you forgiven and go to heaven? what do you think?
  2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

dante paints a grim picture in his inferno. however, that is not absolute there are other suicides that are not in hell. In Purgatorio there is Cato and he is a suicide. I believe there is one other suicide in purgatorio or even paradiso. I might be wrong though.

the rational for suicides going to hell is they commit a mortal sin, murder, and die unrepentant so they are doomed souls.
  3. I know this thread is reserved for the religious, but the reality here is, that there is no hell. Right, you all already know this: the ''blabla'' talk from the ' atheistic critics'. You'd all rather have a talk between urselves? Still not interested in pulling out of the delusion?

Amen, praise Jesus.
  4. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I always wondered how Jesus knowing he was going to die and letting it happen to himself was not the same as standing in the way of danger and letting it kill you? Even if it was a sacrafice and all that, isn't that the same thing? And if he died to free all of us from our sins then surely anything we do isn't a sin if we say sorry because of that?
  5. Blackness

Blackness Guest

you go to hell
    but im not religious, nor believe in hell.
  6. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

Well im not going to say that you go to hell or not..

i didnt go to hell with my last attempt and i did leave my body and i did see and hear everything that was said..

i think if you are really depressed and in pain then God is an understanding God and that if you killed yourself then you might not go to hell...

i dont see no remember hearing or reading any verse in the bible that says if you kill yourself you will go to hell....

all sin is forgiven except one and that is to deny God or rather thats what i think it means.. but i dont know cause im not dead yet so i cant fully answer this question and i am still a babe christian as i was baptized about 6 or 7 years ago but have fell away and come back , etc

i know i dont have no fear of doing it but thats only because i did attempt it enough to knoe what to expect.. i did not have no pain and it was kind of peacefull and i want that back so i really dont know...
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

This debate always ends up being pointless wilth people arguing, because everyone believes differently and believes passionately about it.

You have those people that say "Preaching hell is good because it prevents people from committing suicide and motivates us to live better lives"

Other people will say "Yes but I've lost good people to suicide and I don't want to be told they're in hell because of what you've read in a book"

If you believe in Heaven / Hell then you should try and live your life so that it is pleasing to God, ie love you neighbour, love yourself etc. etc. and if you don't believe in Heaven / Hell then you should try and live your life so that it benefits you and other people, ie. love your neighbour, love yourself etc. etc.

I wonder if two people can walk down the same path and arrive at different destinations?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  8. That is a great point I never heard before. Think I'll look into that.

Who says it's reserved for religious? Always willing to hear an atheistic critic. It helps me keep my faith in perspective and challenges it which proves to me that I'm not indoctrinated.

Thanks for your interesting comments all.
  9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

This gets at martyrdom. If you die for your beliefs, but can live if you deny them, are you committing suicide by proxy? It would not be a sin even if it were suicide (how could it be a sin to die for your belief in God?). However, this differs from suicide by proxy in at least one key aspect. You are not actively seeking death, as with someone who is trying to commit suicide by proxy.

I don't know if I believe in Hell or Heaven. Or if we just dissipate into nothingness like wasted heat energy. Or, perhaps, we're reborn into someone new. Or something new. Or into everything.
  10. Take off my under moderation status, moderators, if you're not gonna bother to read my posts. I wrote a reply, here. A decent post. God, this site is poorly run.

These moderators are hilarious, now they're ignoring me completely.

I am still waiting for some of my decent posts to be approved.
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Exactly. Martyrdom does not count as suicide, nor does signing a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), nor does laying down your life for another. These are very special circumstances. The person is not actively seeking death.

As far as the Christian view on suicide, well many sects believe in is a mortal sin damning someone to hell simply because they are incapable of repentance. The key to many Christians is that you must be fully penitent...which suicide by its very nature prevents.

I know that some sects (Catholicism for one) are wavering on this, seeing a person who commits suicide as generally "insane" to a degree and unable to think clearly...because of this, they believe that in some cases, God finds a way to save certain suicides from eternal hell.

Still, it is not advisable if you are a Christian.
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think........he'd turn you into a pillar of salt. :wink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.