christianity and depression....

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by homelessmk, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

okay, i am a christian, but i also am trying to deal with depression. i have been taking antidepressants for about two and a half years. well, i was having a bad night the other night and talked to one of my friends about it. he said that if i were truly a christian, i wouldn't struggle with depression and i wouldn't have to take medication for it. i thought that was really judgemental and told him so... but does anyone else have opinions on this? i mean, i know that not all christians are like, since i am one, but i also know that some people think this....
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I'm not a christian but I can say that was wrong of them to say. You can't base any kind of illness on religion. It just doesn't work that way.
  3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

what a jerk,Don't listen to people like him.They don't know what they are talking about.I am not sure who or what god is..but I know one thing..god will not tell you to just get over experience with 'jesus" has been it is a hard long lonely road..and all that is expected of you is to be strong..make it until tomorrow.
  4. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Your friend is an ignorant dickhead hypocrite that I'm absolutey certain would take medication if he was stricken with a serious illness or disease.
  5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I know what your friend meant as I am a Christian too and also suffer from Depression.
    The point I think your friend was trying to make is that if you have accepted Christ, then there shouldnt be a point to depression, as there should be no worry, sadness etc, since Christ is in control.

Now that is what I believe your friend was thinking.

However what your friend has failed to realize is that depression is a disease.

Much like you can be a Christian and still have cancer, or be a Christian and still have the flu or whatever.

It's the same as those very conservative Christians that we will hear about every so often who failed to get medical help for their kids and let them die from an illness, because all they did was pray.

How sad those people are to have failed to realize that God gave us doctors.

You are how God made you.

We can pray for God to help us with our Depression, in that He might give us strength to fight it and have a good day.

But, God helps those who help themselves, right?

So for your friend to say, that because you are a Christian you shouldnt have depression is wrong. God simply won't take away our pain, but He will help us by showing us the way. He will give you the strength you need and the knowledge you need to go and get help for it, if you ask.
  6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Christ himself suffered long, deep lows. He struggled with the path he was to take, he wept, got angry etc I don't believe in the bs people who say all is well now I'm a Christian. In fact, in many respects it is in becoming a Christian that you open yourself to suffering as many saints have done in the past.
  7. homelessmk

homelessmk Active Member

thank you guys so much! he apologized later for saying that, and told me he didn't think he really understood what i was going through. i just felt so attacked. i mean, my youth pastor told me that he thought if i was really strong in the Lord that i wouldn't need my medicine... it's such a touchy issue, i figured people would have lots to say about it. thank you all!
  8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Depression cannot be cured by prayer Prayer does not change chemicals in the brain that causes depression. Medication changes the inbalance of chemicals in the brain It is ignorant people like these that we are trying to make more aware of the truths about mental illness. Prayer no understanding people that you can talk to yes. this helps. People just have to realize Mental illness is just that and if we don't reach out and get help nothing will change. I suggest sending your minister or whoever said this to you to a mental health wing at the hospital and ask them if prayer will heal all these souls wrong. It is with therapy and meds that they will heal and that is it.
    God i hate it that in todays age that people are still bias and ignorant where mental illness is concerned.
  9. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

the only reason we are still ignorant of mental illness is because we dont understand it. the term itself is misleading simply because its not a mental problem but a physical one.
  10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm a Christian and I've had depression all of my life. When I get this kind of response from others I keep an even expression and tell them I have physical depression and I leave them to grapple with that.
  11. adalana

adalana Member

i'm christian

and i think that somehow god already left us for a long time, much people suffering, babies dies on an age of 1 month or even 2 days on some case, criminal still wandering the world, many city in africa is still so very poor, that many of the citizen there died because of hunger
    i know that God created this world, but why it becaming like this, maybe its just because He left it already

and its true that illness and religion is a different thing

correct me if i'm wrong, PM me if u want, i really want somebody to correcting my bad way of thinking, i just can't help it, its so logic
  12. rosalee

rosalee Well-Known Member

I think the issue is the same one that most other non-depressed people have in understanding depression -- they really just don't get the extent of it. Since they have a reIigious frame of mind, they ascribe a religious explanation to it.

I had a pastor once who was fond of saying stuff like, "Oh, everyone is suicidal; everyone has those thoughts! You just get them because you don't want what God wants for your life, so you're trying too hard to control it!" -- the implication, of course, being that suicidal depression is brought on by circumstances that we have control over, and also that we should just buck up and snap out of it, because our problems aren't worth anybody's time. I think he meant that a lot of people have suicidal fantasies, where they imagine how sorry everybody'll be once they're not around anymore. But I'm guessing he never experienced real suicidal ideations -- where you're just so ill and desperate, suicide doesn't seem like a what-if scenario, it seems like the ONLY way to get the pain to stop. I'm guessing he might be a little more compassionate otherwise.

I don't know. I have a complicated experience with religion, myself -- as much as I've been hurt by judgmental fellow believers, and bent over backwards trying to follow doctrine, only to be never good enough, I find that I still can't turn my back on God. Part of it is fear (of the Pascal's Wager variety, I guess), and part of it is just indoctrination and force of habit, but part of it is also hope. I really, really do want to believe that the core of the universe runs on love and mercy, and isn't just a random scramble for self-preservation. If only because I think it'd take a being of supernatural forgiveness to accept me.
  13. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to offer my two cents on the matter but it seems that you beat me to it and also said it a lot better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.