Christmas for One :(

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaish, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

Well, it's almost official. I'll be alone on Christmas Day. I'm so sad about this. I was alone on Thanksgiving and did everything I could to treat it as a normal day, but the sadness was still there. I might have to do the same for Christmas. The strange thing is how I kind of wanted this. I didn't want to travel and I didn't want to put up with my family, but now that it is my dad saying it's not going to work out, I'm feeling sad. Rejected in a sense. We both looked into airfare, but he thinks it's too expensive. I know that Christmas and Thanksgiving has always consisted of the family spending an hour together for the main event, then watching a movie I hate, and then going our separate ways, but I still feel a sadness. At least it's common for others to be alone on Thanksgiving, but Christmas not so much. I don't know how I'm going to handle the day. It's the fact that everything is closed and everything is a nightmare the days leading up that makes it hard for me.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is without doubt a difficult time to be alone and all the build up makes it worse. I am not sure of your personal situation or feasibility - but if it is an option maybe you could contact some local charities or churches that may be doing Christmas dinners for the needy, or delivering toys through the Toys for Tots or Angel Giving Tree as examples in out area - either on Christmas Eve or Christmas day? It does not make up for not being with family but it is a way to possibly not be alone and maybe to feel really good about the way you spent the day as well...

Take Care

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

personally i've had some pretty shitty christmases too... the way i overcome it i guess is i've learned to become my own best friend. you don't need to be with people to have a good time, you can throw a party for one and it can be good fun. but you gotta be happy enough within yourself to do that, or at least contented.

though i also like ben's idea of volunteering too... that way you're not alone.

FUBARM Member

I have been alone on Christmas now for over 30yrs, I treat it not as Christmas but a 'selfish' day to myself when I can get up late, not bother to shower and get dressed, watch what I like on TV or listen to whatever music the mood takes me to.. and I turn off the telephones and the computer to be 'alone' with myself.

Christmas is a Festival adopted by the Christain Faith to celebrate the birth of Christ, if you are not a Christian or do no believe in Christ or go to Church, what does it matter - make it a day for you and your closest that you can be with on the day...