Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and leader of the "New Atheism" movement with works such as "God Is Not Great"—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.

“Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic,” Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades.

“My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends,” he wrote in the June 2011 issue. He died in their presence, too, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. May his 62 years of living, well, so livingly console the many of us who will miss him dearly.

His strugle with Cancer is defintly worth a read, and was one of the greatest intellectuals of the West. I would say he is in a better place but he probably wouldn't want to be.

2. Raven

Raven Guest

He will be missed, I have listened too many of his debates and truly I think it will be a long time before a man of such passion and wit comes along again. He brought a great fire with him wherever he went, and I think made a lot of people truly think about their lives and beliefs.

:blub:

3. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

im afraid ive never heard of him much to my dismay,tho having looked at his life and views since this thread appeared i really wish i had.He had a wonderfully honest even brutal view of the world and i admire people who arent afraid to express their opinions in this day and age. R.I.P.

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that will miss him. He was a polarizing figure, and a lot of folks dismissed him for his anti-theistic views and haughty style.

5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

And rightly so....and let's not forget his transformation from left to right wing....good riddance I say. :yay:

6. In a Lonely Place

typical bible basher i say

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Why would you even be so cruel and callous as to be glad someone is dead???

8. Raven

Raven Guest

People like him are needed in this day and age, yes he was a bible basher and we need more of them.

How many times do you here that America is a christen nation founded on such? How many times do we here that the Ten Commandments is and should always be the basis for our laws. The wall that separates church and state is being torn down day by day. There are republicans that say attests should be forced to register with the government, and this is not an isolated incident.

There are many would say that it would be a great thing to implement lavitican law in the United States. They want people like me who do not believe in the christen god to be rounded up, and they are prepared for a war. To many people are afraid to stand up for themselves, they are crushed under the repressive boot of the religious majority that seems bent on nothing more than total control over everyone else’s lives.

In the end mankind must move forward for us to grow; it behooves us to finally say enough to the bishops and popes, who have hidden child molestation, no more will we support those who go to Africa and rant and rave about condoms to the people dying of aids because that is Gods will. That we will not stand for the discrimination of the Gays simply because how they are born.

Yes he was a bible basher, I am glade he was. I would gladly co-exist with most people of faith. But when you are convinced you must rule my life by force then people like Mr. Hitchens are needed.

9. In a Lonely Place

i think something got lost in translation as in the uk we call people bible bashers if they try and force religion down your throat!! i'm an atheist and was calling aaron "a typical bible basher" because he said "Good riddance" to christopher hitchens and had that emoti doing an annoying victory dance.

10. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I think we need all perspectives, especially the polar extremes. Religion and beliefe is very good, same with those who don't believe. It's the mutal apprication for each position or lack of position, and the ability to give eachother positive contrast that helps us think and develop either spiritually or factually or both.
    Anyhow, i just wanted to say that because of the tone to which the threads gearing to. Someone died, they had a beliefe that went with their life. It's important to have respect for that life, regardless of his beliefes.. otherwise you lose the person underneath the religion/anti religion anarchy. Just my opinon..

11. In a Lonely Place

i dont know what you mean about the tone of this thread to be honest,and two people (me being one of them)taking exception to that.Raven not being from the uk misunderstood the way in which we use the term "bible basher" and i just wanted to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
  12. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

The more level headed comments the merrier is what I mean. I don't want to humor or really debate it, just wanted to throw my point of view in there. :)

13. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

In the US, they're usually called bible thumpers rather than bashers. So, it was probably just a miscommunication. /Probably as there's no location listed so idk/

I never heard of the man, either, until just now. Sounds like someone I would have had some respect for, though. May he RIP.

14. aao

aao Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace Christopher Hitchens. He will be missed.

15. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Im not glad the man is dead, but why should i and others respect a man who was arrogant to the extreme? The man was an arse revered by 'athiests' who thought he himself was some kind of god. Just because he is dead does not make him any less of an arse. Im far from religious, but im not an athiest either. His book was God is not great was intended to piss theism off and that was its only purpose. If athiests and theists really want tolerance of each other then show it, dont write books that can only be described as hateful propaganda.

16. In a Lonely Place

you dont have to respect him at all.this threads for those that do

17. Kaos General

Really? If that is so then why is this thread in the soap box? This thread was created for one sole purpose and one alone and it certainly wasnt to show respect, it was to carry on the pointless debate between athiesm and religion. The fact that christopher hitchens is the most well known and celebrated athiest and the fact that this thread is in the soap box proves that point.

18. In a Lonely Place

yeah perhaps your right or maybe its in the wrong place i dunno.i dont see how its a pointless debate anyways and maybe he was arrogant but he would have had to live a thoasand lifetimes to get anywhere the arrogance of organised religion,no ones perfect,certainly not me anyhow

19. Raven

Raven Guest

The debate between atheists and theist's are anything but pointless; there are too many theists out there that want to push their religion on everyone else.

I will speak for the American version but there are many theists who believe that us without faith are morally corrupt, that we eat babies for breakfast and the ills of the great old USA or because of us. A lot of them want to strip us of our citizenship, create laws based on their beliefs.

The moment the theists stop trying to tell me how to live my life by law, intimidation and go back to worrying about themselves then the debate can end. But in a world where women are treated as inferior to men because of religion, where they are stoned to death because of it, when you here the unbelievers should be put to the sword then the debate must continue.

Hitchens was great because he was a pain in the ass, and you can all be glade he is dead, or you can call him a spiteful old arss but I still was sorry to see him go. Debate and discourse are great things, if you believe something then be prepared to defend it, I learned a lot of things by people calling me out on a firm belief and finding I could not defend it.

“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.”
    Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer

I enjoyed him for his ability to put so eloquently into words my thoughts in my own disbelief and in the end utter rejection of any higher power.

20. Kaos General

Oh please. Dont try and act like its all one sided. That religion is solely to blame. Remember Stalin? How about Hitler?

Oh and if that truly is the case then let me ask you this, i believe that most of the US government is christian? Didnt they recently ban this Dont ask, Dont tell policy from your military? I thought that homosexuality was sort of frowned upon in the christian world, yet christians in government have effectively said being gay is ok. How about that.

Athiests are just as bad as the religions who they view as spewing hate filled rhetoric. Learn some damn tolerance on both sides and maybe then it might be classed as a debate. At the moment though, both sides are acting like kids in a playground shouting 'my dad can beat up your dad'. Dont get me wrong though, i agree with some of what Christopher Hitchens said, i just didnt agree with the way he went about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.