chromium for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I went to the pharmacy a few days ago and asked the pharmacist is there any appetite suppressants as my medications make me hungry, I was thinking there wasn't but she recommended chromium (diet supplement) as she said it curbs cravings for carbs and will suppress your appetite. I have been taking it for about 5 days now and can feel my appetite has decreased a lot. I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I've lost 6lb so far this year. Has anyone here heard of or tried chromium for weight loss?
    3 people like this.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have never heard of it but there is a fair bit of info about it can be found - (does say side effects are rare so don't freak out reading that)

The last one does seem to support the idea it can help reduce appetite- so really Petal I would suggest if you really think/feel it is helping you then is not a lot of harm and may be helpful to you on some level.
    2 people like this.
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

My understanding of Chromium is that it can work to stabilise your glucose levels, meaning that you are a bit more tolerant to sugar and carb cravings as you don't "crash" as easily. The same effect can be gained just from limiting your sugar and carbs of course. If you feel like it is helping and making you feel better then I don't think that is a bad thing. I would try to just use it to get the carbs etc under control for a few weeks then wean off it - your body should be well out of the carb/sugar crash cycle after two or three weeks anyway.
    3 people like this.
  4. Petal

Thank you both, I'm usually very cautious about fads to lose weight (xenical/pharma nord/cla) so i said i'll give this one a try since the pharmacist was enthusiastic about it helping my food craving and although its early days I feel it's working. I have had a look at those links, there seems to be some debate whether it helps you lose weight or not, I will keep taking it, it's inexpensive and worth a try :)
  5. Zoey

Zoey Member

My physician actually gave me some bottles of chromium to try recently. For me its purpose is to help stabilize my glucose. I too can tell a difference.
  6. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

chromium is a trace element in the body, atomic element 24 has an atomic mass of 52.00, never heard it be used as a weight loss supplement before. I know it has an effect on the body and its not believed to be dangerous. At least according to my chemistry teacher.
    Petal likes this.
  7. Petal

Thanks for the input, yes I have been told it's totally safe and natural. I started taking it again today, I still feel hungry but that might be due to other meds. I will see if it does help in the next few days and report back.
    Inspire&Inquire likes this.
  8. John Diamond

John Diamond New Member

Yes I have heard of chromium supplement results loosing weight. Chromium helps control blood sugar, curbs carb cravings and fights body fat and chromium supplementation reduces fat mass, increases lean body mass and can lead to weight loss.