Cigarette smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Crying All Time, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crying All Time

Crying All Time Well-Known Member

I'm heavy smoker. I would like to quit but I can't. Do you have any suggestions?
  2. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

Yes. Stop. It really is as simple as that. I quit after two years smoking a pack a day and haven't had one in 33 days now. All you have to do is go cold turkey and come to terms with the fact that you CAN'T have them anymore. After 3 days of working really hard not to, the restlessness and uneasiness start to subside and it becomes surprisingly easy to say no.

Make sure you enjoy the prospect of being healthier and realize that having one cigarette will start the whole process over again and it isn't worth it. A few days isn't that long just don't let your willpower fade, and I'd say only the first few days of this have been difficult. The truth is that every day you don't smoke gives you more and more motivation to keep it up and eventually having a cig just isn't worth ruining what you have going. I very rarely think about smoking anymore... only when I see people doing it or smell it, and even then I can shake the urge away quickly by simply remembering how terrible I felt about it when I was dependent. The trick is to look forward to the health benefits of quiting... think about how great it'll be to not smell like smoke, to not need to spit all the time, to not have a dry itchy throat and that extra expense of cigs draining your wallet. Also, when you think about having one... just remember how unpleasant smoking actually is. It sucks... you're body just tricks you into thinking you want it. Sometimes it helps to let people know that you are quiting... they might not believe you at first but it feels so good to show them you can do it.

I promise that quiting is easier than you think. You just have to endure those first few days and learn to ignore your desire to even have a single drag later on. It really isn't as hard as you think though. I smoked every waking hour for years and it really only takes a few days of hard work for you to stop thinking about it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  3. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Nice thought zetaf! I wish it were that easy for me.

There's a new drug on the market called Chantix, it's really supposed to help & I plan on trying it myself. It's supposed to stop the cravings completely.
  4. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

My only suggestion is one that already floats around pervasively in conversations about quitting.

With any habit, even ones that aren't based on a chemical dependency (let's say nail biting), your mind becomes accustomed to allotting time in any given day for the habit. You'll need to find something else to fill cigarette smoking's shoes, like chewing gum, and do it during all the same times that you used to smoke (after meals, after waking, before sleeping, whatnot).
  5. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

I would have to recommend nicotine gum gradually replaced by regular gum.

Or smoke Sterling Superkings Silver, after 2 you will never want to smoke again :laugh:
  6. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

No no no! You can't rely on anything other than will power. You ARE able to do it by yourself and you don't need to replace it with anything else. All you have to do is get excited about what quiting really means and enjoy the fact that you're really gonna do it this time. You need to find a way to come to terms with the fact that the only way to quit is to be like the people who never smoked a cigarette in their lives. If you ask them if they want one, they look at you funny :laugh: you have to adapt this stance. Smoking isn't for you anymore, it doesn't have to be who you are and that's okay! After a few days of not doing it, it will start feeling like it's actually possible not to crave it so much... and once you get to day 30 you almost forget what smoking is! You can do it, you just have to want to. You can't look at it as a painful process, but instead as a time for change that you will ultimately enjoy for the rest of your life.
  7. aloner

aloner Active Member

I'm quitting too. After 3 days the nicotine should all be out of your system. Then it is just a matter of breaking your mental/emotional attachment to the act of smoking. My cigs were my little buddies for the past 4 years but it helps to think that I will be healthier, smell better, and have a little extra money if I give them up. Good luck!
  8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

My friend went to the doctor and they started her on a program, she's gone 2 years without smoking now. I guess different ways work for different people
  9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

i dunno, i used to smoke up to two packs a day. i'd smoke at least a pack a day. then, i just stopped. i quit and i've smoked 1 cig in almost a year. um, i dunno some people can just quit it, some it takes using nicotine replacement. for me the biggest thing was always having something in my hands, like i'd have a cig out and light it and just chain smoke sometimes, even if i didn't want the cigarette. just so i could being doing something.
  10. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

yeah i quit the same way as hammock monkey. it just happened one day that i stopped wanting them. that's not to say you shouldn't quit until it just happens but like with quitting any drug the desire to stop has to outweigh the desire to continue...oh yeah and if you're working out its much harder to breathe if you're a smoker, so excercising can make quitting more natural
  11. Crying All Time

Crying All Time Well-Known Member

I always smoke when I am nervous, anxious or suicidal, or when I cut myself... and it is very OFTEN. I really want to stop. I will tomorrow try not to smoke :huh:
  12. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Completly same here:hug:

I smoked 1 box (20 ciggarets) in december, but since my depression got on worse, i ussualy smoke over 30, sometimes even 40 ciggarets...

If you cant stop, then try to smoke less

How much do you smoke on day, sweety?
  13. ryan

ryan Member

inhaler worked for me
  14. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

It's easy to see where you're going wrong. Don't try tomorrow, try now. You won't quit if tomorrow is the day to quit.

and @Hurted: Smoking less per day? Smoking less quickly changes back to smoking more. You're either a smoker or not a smoker. Quiting is only possible when one cigarette is too much... and even one drag is too much.
  15. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Its not true.
    My mother quit on that way... she smoked less from day to day, and after 1 year she smoked only 5 ciggaretes daily, then she stoped.
    It would work well for me too if i would be depressed.
  16. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

The only reason I smoke is because I'm bored to hell. I quit for three years once and then started back up again when I was hanging out with a few friends, stupid of me.
  17. AloneInTheDark

AloneInTheDark Well-Known Member

trying to quit. cut down loads over the last week, which is good, its only due to the fact i have no money though, but doesnt really matter, either why its a step forward to quitting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.