cigarettes will only be for sale for people over the age of 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new law is going to be passed in october. I am so insanely pissed off right now as having no life or friends smoking is one of the only things that i can enjoy and helps relive painful thoughts. Why should they be allowed to do this? when your 16 you brain has developed enough to be able to make responsible desicions so why is it only allowed for people over 18? it doesnt fucking matter if its bad for you because you as an individual should be smart enough to realise that and be able to damage your health if you choose so, not let the government to tell you if its ok or not. I was quite happy with the public smoking ban but this is just a disgrace against human free will.

danni

Chat Buddy
hmm well over here is always been like that..but dont let something like that from stoping you to get ur cig...hell i didn't and i'm only 17 just get some of ur older friends to buy u some..

i dont have any friends where i am now. even before i moved my old friends where dickheads and took the piss out of me on my last night out in my home town

Y
i'm glad. people who start smoking these days with full knowledge of the effects are just stupid. the next step is to stop making cigarettes availible at all

Jenny:[

cigarettes are DISGUSTING. i started smoking when i was 14. i never really got addicted, i could go without them, and often did. at times i'd feel like they were my only Saviour. you destroy years of your life by smoking UNKOWN substances really. i quit about a year ago for my boyfriend, and i've never been happier. yes, there are times that i'd like to just smoke one, but they pass. the important thing is that i am much healthier; i don't get sick as often.
please, think twice about smoking. there are plenty of other HEALTHY addictive habits!!!!

Ignored

Staff Alumni
ybt, they tried that with alcohol in the USA in the 1920's... had the opposite effect in that alcohol was even more popular and crime around it escalated. The government wouldn't want to totally ban it anyway, as they get too much cash in taxes on it.
As to the over 18's smokers thing, I suppose it's just bringing it in line with other things you can do as an adult, like drinking. Officially you are still a child before that and they probably hope it'll drag up the age of when people REALLY start smoking, ie in their early teens!! I think it's a good thing.

Y
good point.

but as to the alcohol comparison thing, a bit of alcohol in moderation... isn't bad.

a cigarette is a lot worse

why do you think people are stupid because they know that smoking is bad for them> everything is bad for you these days and if you take so much time worrying about things shortening you life your not going to have a life at all> i just dont see why the government should babysit us and tell us what is good and bad for us like we@re children< if someone smokes cigarettes let them smoke and dont give them any shit about how they are stupid and disgusting its rude ignorant and u dont see the smoker giving you a hard time about whatever you do that might affect your health

(by the way in case you are wondering theyre is something wrong with my keayboard so i cant write numbers or punctuation marks)

smackh2o

SF Supporter
anonymous, I bow down to theee!!
We're becoming a nanny state. Yes, all those who are in favour of banning cigerettes and stuff outright great. But when the government sees what they can get away with you're all going to be staring into a screen telling you to do your morning exercises and the parks will have microphones in the bushes. You'll have to ask permission to get married and you'll not get any more sugar!
Leave my filthy habit alone. I want to be one of the lucky bastards that dies before another war comes along anyhow.

to buy cigarettes here it's already 18 so i don't know what the gripe is about..they are trying to cut back on second hand smoke and lung cancer patients..sorry can't say i blame them at all.

~Nobody~

I don't think it's such a bad idea... But then I am already 18.

To be honest, it won't mean that much. It'll up the age a bit but it won't affect many people who already smoke, it'll just deter a few more people who haven't yet started, which is a good thing. Think about it, legally you can't smoke here until you are 16. Loads of 13 year olds smoke. Likewise, 15 year olds will still smoke when there is an 18+ law.

why do you think people are stupid because they know that smoking is bad for them> everything is bad for you these days and if you take so much time worrying about things shortening you life your not going to have a life at all> i just dont see why the government should babysit us and tell us what is good and bad for us like we@re children< if someone smokes cigarettes let them smoke and dont give them any shit about how they are stupid and disgusting its rude ignorant and u dont see the smoker giving you a hard time about whatever you do that might affect your health

(by the way in case you are wondering theyre is something wrong with my keayboard so i cant write numbers or punctuation marks)

if only smoking didn't affect other people! are you aware of the dangers of second hand smoke? and no, i'm not attacking you nor am i being sarcastic, you just seem to be unaware of it. smoking doesn't just hurt the person smoking, it hurts people around them. i would have no problem with it if it only affected the person smoking

but thats whole point in having the public smoking ban. it means that people arent allowed to smoke in public areas so that the danger of second hand smoke is removed. I understand totally that it isnt fair for people to be blowing smoke into non smokers faces in pubs and agree that they shouldnt be allowed to smoke around people that dont. so really it does, as you say, only damage the health of the person smoking and not others around him

Jolanta

Member & Antiquitie's Friend
Staff Alumni
anonymous, if not being able to buy cigarettes is your biggest problem, then sit down right now and start counting your blessings.
I wouldn't care if you smoked and polluted your own body but your right to spread carcinogens ends where my space begins.

not being able to smoke is not my biggest problem, the biggest problem right now is that i am on the verge of being chucked into a hostel with no qualifications since i was advised to leave school to go to college but they didnt give me any help to get into college. and i couldnt even get a place in college now because i have moved into a village that is miles away from any city, which is going make it impossbile to find a decent job because when i do get kicked out im going to have to work full time which means ill have no time for college. and did you not even have the decency to read what i had said before you posted, i said that i understand that non smokers shouldnt be affected by people that do, which is why i stay away from other people when i am smoking

Jolanta

Member & Antiquitie's Friend
Staff Alumni
My apologies anonymous but if you check the time of your post (1:44PM) you will see that I was typing my response (1:46PM) while you were posting yours so I didn't see your post before I responded to your original post (yesterday).
I'm happy that you don't force your habit on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00