Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by lightning05, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Since I have way too much time on my hands and am constantly feeling low and stressed out, I think I have developed an addiction to cigarettes. I used to be able to smoke here and there socially, but it is taking a lot for me not to buy another pack right now. It's been about 3 weeks since I bought a pack but I have been smoking at school when people offer me cigarettes. I think I want to smoke cigarettes because they are bad for me. When I buy a pack I chain smoke, sometimes smoking 3-5 at a time because I like the way it burns my chest. It is part of that self harm mentality, where if it will cause me pain I want to do it. I know cigarettes are legal and when people smoke them it isn't seen as substance abuse per se, but they are incredibly harmful and I feel that right now I might enjoy the pain they cause me but later on in life I'm not going to enjoy it so much.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I understand that 'because it's bad for me' thinking... I deal with that a lot. My luck is that cigarette smoke closes my throat...

Could you find a healthier outlet? Some exercise? Maybe do some form of exercise that makes you exhausted, that might give you a burn as well, but it will be good for you unlike the smokes.

If you need help to quit smoking I know there's apps out there that help some people

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, im an ex- smoker. Have you tried using an e-cigarette, that might help you better, it's what has me off smoking. Worth a try I think :) If it's pain you want to feel try using ice cubes to run across your arm. Always here if you need a chat.

4. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Well today I didn't buy a pack of cigarettes, which is a step in the right direction but I did smoke 3 from other people so also not so good. I have tried the e-cigarette before but I find it makes me want a real one even more. I have never heard about the ice cube thing but it is definitely worth a try. Maybe even to "snap me out" of what I'm thinking too. Thanks for that tip! @ThePhantomLady I usually try and use exercise as a way to get myself to quit (I'm actually a very avid runner) but my bad moods get the best of me at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.