cigs and me ...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jimk, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

i have been smoking since 1965.. that is a ton of history with the damn things.. johnny been subjected to breathing my smoke since 1976... this is long enuf.. up middle of night lite up before the coffee is ready.. another moarlbor with the coffee.. one coors beer a day with couple of cigs.. stressed, lite up.. just get a touch of the urge and lite up again..

i got five packs of marlboros left .. along with 4 mini switzer cigars. going to space it to one pack a day thru saturday.. not lite up till the coffee is ready in the middle of night.. this habit is costing me almost $5000 a year.. is killing me slowly and not healthy for john to have to breath my shit.. never thought i was going to live this long. in june i will be 65.. time to quit on sunday adn go to whatever ends i need to do and not smoke after that..

chat in chatroom here using both hands.. crisis line.. quit for life smoking cessation program with my hmo. consulting nurse at my hmo.. start mall walking again with johnny..

i really do what to quit smoking.. going to call the quit for life program now for few minutes. think will use the nicorette lozenzes which are pretty new,, not sure i am going to be able to do this yet.. but i have a dear friend catherine who has been in the hospital for last 6 weeks barely hanging onto life for all that time.. she got thru lung cancer first time but this time she may not make it.. she only got a little of one lung left and not able to breath without a respirator.. i do not want this to hap;pen to me and johnny..

i may go nuts but sunday is the day.. Jim and JOhn
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I wish you all the luck in the world Jim just take it slow okay and don't be too down on yourself if you do slip occassionaly remember goal is to decrease some then work your way down to less every day hugs
  3. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Have you tried those Electronic Cigs at all? I bought one the other day from my local shop with no real intention to give up, I just wanted to see what they were like and I've now gone from smoking 20 a day to 3-4 a day with its help and am not really wanting to smoke as much as I did before either. Like I actually forget to smoke for long periods with it. Its bizarre lol

Very best of luck.
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

lost81 so glad for you that the Ecigs are working for you.. not sure that would work out for me.. when i do the deep inhale i expect to get a big rush from the nicotine entering my system. made up my mind today that noon in about 2 hours i will have smoked my last marlboro in this house and going to givbe it a real effort to resist taking the 5 minute trip up to the 7-11 for next couple of days.. got support if brave and smart enuf to reach for it..
  5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

You can do it Jim! I worry about having to start back up again to keep the voices silent. However, that will have to be at my new home eventually. Maybe. I deal with it through meds (the voices), but they are still there. But when I was smoking, they were silent. I miss being able to think for myself. They always seem to control me, and that sucks.

I wish you all the best Jim! I hope you can quit the damned things.
  6. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

at this time i have given up the fight against the marlboros.. not even going to seriously try to cut down.. this none and then tons is very hard on my system.. no more now than a pack and a half a day and if possible a few less.. my therapist and shrink agree with this conclusion.. i am a smoker and an addict in almost everything i do.. just time to stop the war..
  7. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

stopped smoking at 2pm today Feburary 27th 2012.. 3 hours so far without.. doing cold turkey alan carr method.. going to bed in couple of hours .. will see how it goes when i wake up some time after midnight without the marlboros????
  8. letty

letty Banned Member

Good for you Jim, 3 hours is awesome, I use to smoke camels. I quit cold turkey for 1 week, then I used the patches, and chewed gum. hang in there .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.