Cigs, Energy Drinks and Stress

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Kiba, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I'm just really stressed right now and I quit smoking tobacco but right now I REALLY want some.. Just a bad habit of wanting it when I'm stressed..

URG!!! And I always had them with an energy drink in the other hand.. god.. how I really want to smoke.. I have some left over from when I did, and I have 1 energy drink left in my fridge...

Just hard time coping with the desire atm to smoke and have an energy drink. And I don't want to just throw the cigs away or the drink..

Anyone else having similar issue right now? :(

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Throw them away, it's probably the best thing you can do the fight the urge right now.

3. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Yea I know I just don't like throwing things away when they cost so much in the first place. :( And still has use... urg.. I should..

4. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Yeah, I feel the same a lot. I quit smoking because of my asthma but it was the only way I knew how to deal with stress and anxiety. I still get urges all the time to smoke. I agree though... even though its a waste of money its best to get the cigarettes out of the house.

5. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Instead of throwing them away you could give them to a friend. I gave almost a whole pack of 20 to a friend when I quit. Saying that, he should really buy me a pint or something. Its been about 9 months since I last smoked so its not like I am going to ask for them back. :dry:

Anyway, good luck with the keeping up not smoking. :wink:

6. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I've been through the same thing before. If you can, try to limit caffeine as much as possible. It'll help reduce the urge to smoke. Also, exercise, plenty of water, fluids, and juices will help. And when you feel a craving coming on, stare at a clock for three minutes with the mindset that it'll pass by then. They say cravings feel like they last forever but that it's really only a few minutes so by staring at a clock it helps keep everything in perspective. The worst of the cravings should be over after about three days.

I've thrown away close to a full pack before when quitting and it is hard but it's best not to have them around when trying to quit.

You'll probably feel tired for the first few days, especially if you cut back on caffeine, but it'll pass. I wish you the best of luck with quitting!

7. Arthur523

Arthur523 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel! I used to be a daily coffee/energy drink person and I know that feeling of craving a drink and a smoke every now and then. I don't drink caffeine every single day now, but when I do I tend to drink like 2-3 cups of coffee or multiple energy drinks and energy shots to get that upper buzz feeling to give my body a jolt of energy. I smoke too, and I can relate that it is quite nice to have a cig in one hand and an energy drink in the other. Man, if cocaine was still one of the ingredients in coca-cola then I would be a friggin soda addict!

Do you like energy shots?? Or do you like having that big drink to sip on? If you don't need to have that drink in your hand, then I'd recommend at least to try switching over to those 5 Hour Energy shots or something similar. At least you'll be cutting back on a lot of calories by doing this, and price-wise it's about the same thing. It's a good alternative if you really depend on that early morning wake up.

I don't know what to tell you about the tobacco thing though because I still smoke regularly and love to chain smoke a few cigarettes when I'm feeling stressed or anxious. I'm trying out other healthier stress-relievers at the moment. For example, I'm in the middle of a "Meditation for Beginners" book, and I'm trying out other natural herbs and teas like Green Tea, etc.

8. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

Hey swifty. How long have you been quit for? I quit almost a year ago now and it is really really hard i know. At least once or twice a week i get a really bad craving ! I think if you can get hold of some nicotine gum the weakest strength you can get it would help if this craving you have doesnt let up but ONLY if you feel like the alternative is to go back to smoking. Its much better to have gum than a ciggarette. xxx

9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

You can do it swifty! :hug:

10. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Bin them or better still flush them down the toilet!

11. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I can understand the desire to not want to waste them. Been there, done that and what not. I agree, the best thing to do is throw them away. It's easier to quit smoking when you don't have cigarettes around to smoke! When you feel the need to smoke, I recommend distracting yourself. I keep a rubber band handy that I snap when I'm having a fit. It's not completely helpful, but it has distracted me to some extent. You can do it, I'm sure you can. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.