Citalopram and Adderal?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by james79, Nov 1, 2009.

1. james79

james79 Member

My psych just put me on 20mg of Citalopram and I'm already on 25mg of Adderal for my add, I was hoping I could drop the Adderal and rely on the Citalopram to help me with concentration once it fully kicks in.

I also don't see the point in taking a stimulant which increases my anxiety and taking an anti-depressant which is supposed to reduce my anxiety, and the added fact that dropping the Adderal will save me $115 a month is very appealing.

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't know much about this, but you should definitely talk to your Doctor/Psych if you are sick of the Adderal.
    Does Citalopram work for ADD? Maybe that's why he/she is insisting on both.

3. james79

james79 Member

He didn't insist on both, but he also didn't seem to mind writing me a script for Citalopram knowing full well that I was still on Adderal. I have read on other forums where people who have taken Citalopram have helped their depression but also helped with anxiety and one person who claimed it allowed her to get out of her house and overcome her social phobia and also helped to regain their concentration and ability to follow through with tasks, all of which I suffer from.

I just paid $124 to fill my adderal 25mg XR script, whereas my Citalopram is less then $30. I can't drop Adderal cold turkey though because I get some nasty withdrawal symptoms but I'm going to try and taper off of it. I really can't stand the increased anxiety I get from Adderal as well as the huge price tag, so once I ween off of it I will update this post on whether or not the Citalopram has helped with my ADD, if it hasn't then I will have to consider going back on Adderal.

Thanks for all your help Alice! <3