Citalopram (Celexa?)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by xTheBlondex, Mar 10, 2010.

1. xTheBlondex

xTheBlondex Well-Known Member

I was prescribed Citalopram last thursday (20mg) and apart from the side effects: Nausea, Sleepiness, Dry Mouth ect I still feel pretty crappy about things I just can't seem to cry :what: has anyone else experienced this on Citalopram?

I'm going back next thursday (18th) because she only gave me 2 weeks worth so she could monitor me, I want help I really do but I'm worried she may put me on 40mg and the side effects might get worse! :unsure:

I'm really intrested to see what you guys experiences are on Citalopram

Robyn xxx
  2. SweetVitriol

SweetVitriol Antiquitie's Friend

I had real problems with Citalopram but that doesn't mean you will too hon..

I found I had to stay really well hydrated whilst taking it and the only real side effect I got was a restless leg and nocturnal muscle cramps..But it did stabilise me (Until a crisis hit and I had to have my meds changed)

Try not to second guess your Dr too much...Ask them to keep you on this dosage if they are working, or ask for more time if they are not..

Remember that you are in control of what happens..As a medical professional I see patients cowered into submission in front of the big Dr..But you have the final say..If you do not want to increase the dosage yet, then say so and stand your ground.

Drop me a line and let me know what happens.
  3. xTheBlondex

Hey thanks for your reply, I'm one of those people that do cower into submission when it comes to my doctor. I've been registered at that practise for 20 years (since I was born) for the last 3 years I've been back and fourth several times about the same problem, finally last Thursday after weeks of putting it off I finally made the appointment and officially broke down thats when she decided to prescribe me the Citalopram. However I feel that she was paying more attention to the fact I experience anxiety, which in my opinion is the direct affect of my depression which I've had for at least if not longer 3 years.

I may be slightly paranoid, okay.. I probally am paranoid but when I speak to my GP I feel that she doesn't believe me and thinks that I'm after some sort of attention. Maybe I am who knows?

4. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am actually on 40mg of Celexa and for me at least it really works, I had very little side effects and my suicidality and depression went down. It really works for me but that dosen't mean it works for everyone.
  5. xTheBlondex

I guess it's only been a week tomorrow... maybe it will work after a few more weeks I just feel very confused, sad and annoyed.

I'm glad it works for you :) x
  6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It takes at least 6 weeks for Citalopram (or any antidepressant) to build in the blood stream, and for it to have it's full effect.

By monitoring every couple of weeks, I don't see the point of monitoring that frequently.
  7. xTheBlondex

Nor do I but I don't feel able to question my GP.. I feel very strange whenever I go to talk about it with her.. I've started keeping a diary and writing notes about the medication so I don't have to explain much to her lol
  8. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Thats a very smart thing to do, after hearing that I wish I did something like that. It is very difficult to start a new medication but if you find one or a set of medication that works for you it is deffintly worth it. As well as the Celexa worked for me I got even better results when my doctor combined it with another medication, Ablifly. Unfourently there is no medication that works as a mircale cure, diffrent medications and diffrent combinations of medications work for diffrent people. My advice is as difficult as it might sound is to give it time because when you find the right medication or combination of medication, it really makes you feel much better, and this comes from years of experinces of trying diffrent medications that just didn't work for me.
  9. xTheBlondex

Thank you Mordeci :) :hug:
  10. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I personally couldnt handle Celexa... partially because it was combined with Trazodone. In the end I ended up with heart & breathing problems. I already had epilepsy (Trazodone isnt supposed to be given to people w/ epilepsy...too bad the doctor never checked before prescribing...)
    But like they say it works for some people & not others. Whatever you take make sure you get monitored! (Which I believe they do anyways, but our city lacks MH care MAJORLY).
  11. weevil

weevil Well-Known Member

I seem to have the opposite problem with doctors, they concentrate on the depression and ignore the anxiety which is actually the root cause.

I will tell you my experiences of citalopram, please don't let the 2nd one scare you off of it, you've already started taking it so I think were the same thing to happen it already would have. I just think it's easy to be complacent the way that doctors are happy to trial and error these meds with us so people should be aware of all possibilities.

The first time I took citalopram it worked similar to the other SSRI's I'd had before it. A few side effects at first, nervous energy, insomnia, jaw clenching, not as strong side effectwise as effexor was. After a little while I would gradually feel more like I could function in the real world to enable me to move on. They had a time limit though, they felt as though they stopped working or just put me into a zombie phase where I felt no emotion anymore. I guess at first you want your emotions dulled to bring you out of the really dark moods, but once you feel a little better you miss experiencing the higher moods.

Anyway, the 2nd time I went on citalopram was MUCH different, it caused what seemed like a manic phase of bipolar. From the first dose I had the nervous energy but it was a lot stronger. I felt like I was tripping on a psychedelic but without the visuals, it even tingled at the side of my head next to my eyes like the come up of a psych always did. Instead of dulling any emotion it amplified EVERY emotion. Happy things made me cry with joy. I knew deep down this was weird but I didn't complain to the doctor, I liked the insanity of it at first. Who wouldn't prefer that to the motionless, depressed, cant even get out of bed feeling from before?

But I couldn't sleep and this made me irritable, I made terrible judgements. I probably could have killed myself doing this. I binged on a drug I'd sworn I'd never touch again and spent a couple of days passing out, blacking out, I'm still not sure what my intentions were, was I trying to sleep or trying to escape? I still couldn't sleep for days afterwards and had terrible delusions like everyone on a coach with me was planted there to spy on me and the same man was at every stattion following me. At one point I thought I might have died and was in some kind of limbo before the afterlife. Somebody around me should have put me in hospital, I couldn't have done it myself at that point.

After hearing all this 2 doctors wouldn't let me stop taking the citalopram, saying the side effects will go and that I'll sleep eventually. I believed I was some evil person by now and wanted to do everything I was told to make amends so I did as they said. The side effects didn't go, I had nothing to be happy about anymore so I was left with extreme negative emotions. Didn't get any better until another doctor agreed to take me off the meds. I have never been a cryer, even as a baby but I must have cried more during that time than the entire rest of my life.

If that had been my first ever antidepressant I would have a very serious view of it, but I think what happened was rare. Still, I refused to ever take an SSRI again when I broke down again in September (its seasonal for me), I couldn't risk that happening again. So I'm on a tricyclic now, lofepramine, I was worried it was making me too high at first as well but it did die down and now I'm not sure it's doing anything at all.
  12. xTheBlondex

Sorry you had such a shit time on them Weevil :hug:

This is the first time I've ever been on anti depressants although I feel I've been depressed since I was young (most of my school reports comment on my 'sadness') however it got considerably worse when my dad died in 2006 from then I did the whole 'party thing' took a cocktail of illegial drugs and did things I'm not very proud of.. but it took me out of the low mood I was feeling even if it was just for a few hours.

I started taking Citalopram on the 4th of this month after I spent 3 days previously crying my eyes out, walking out of a university interview and considering overdosing again. My GP who I've had since I was born (20 years) has always been helpful when I've been physically ill but mentally ill is a totally different thing with her.. I'm not sure if it's me being paranoid or if it's her making me feel that way.. hense there being a huge gap inbetween the last time I saw her about my depression.

When I walked out of the doctors surgery I almost felt relieved that she had prescribed me anti depressants. An hour after taking the first one I felt sick and fell asleep for a few hours.. the side effects are now starting to wear off apart from the dry mouth and awful teeth clenching. I can't seem to cry even though I have this feeling of sadness and hopelessness. The other night I did something totally out of the ordinary.. which has criminal implications, I'm not proud of it and I'm now scared the police will find out it was me. My anxiety seems to have totally disapeared for now. I know I have to wait a few weeks for it too kick it in but these last 7 days have just made me feel crap :unsure:
  13. weevil

weevil Well-Known Member

I don't like going to doctors for mental health issues either, I always feel like it's not a real illness and they're going to see through my "lies". I really don't think some of them are that good at it either, the main GP at my current surgery put me on lofepramine and didn't want to know when I reported my concerns at how I was feeling. The instructions in the box tell you to go back to the doctor straight away if you feel certain things yet he denied it was possible as you apparently feel nothing from these drugs until you've been on them for 3 weeks. Doesn't fill you with much confidence in going back to them when you get a reaction like that does it. I switched to the other doctor there though he's unfortunately only there monday afternoons.

I read about the uni interview on your other thread. Are you due to go this year? It's only March so don't worry too much if it's too overwhelming to think about right now, you have some time. See what happens with the meds.

Starting the meds means you've changed something though and made a step forward, I hope the next 7 days start to feel better than the last 7.
  14. xTheBlondex

That is exactly how I feel!

As for the Uni interview, it was on the 3rd, I walked out without telling anyone.. but when I came to my senses a few hours later whilst at home I wrote to apologise and explain my situation they replied with "We don't think your suitable for the course" I can see there point I applied for a degree in Youth & Community Work.. I guess they don't want a person with mental health issues working with vunerable youths. I finish my college course in a few more months and then I will be applying for jobs until I can reapply for another a course for next september.

I have to see the doctor in 7 days time, I'm slightly miffed by this as all the people I have spoken to and all the research I've done on them it seems that they take more than 2 weeks to have a positive effect so therefore the meeting would be pointless? I'm paranoid (and I know thats what it is but I can't stop myself from thinking it) that my GP is going to take away all the help and just tell me I'm lying :eek:hmy:
  15. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

My doctor put me on Celexa last summer. Being pretty anti medication I reluctantlly agreed to start with 10 day trial of it and I think even in that short time it started to work. However, being anti medication I decided that I didn't want to be on it, so I stopped.

I'd love it if someone could answer this for me..

My doctor said that Celexa is considered a relatively safe drug so not really easy to overdose on or whatever.... But say I took over 6 grams of it... (ie 166 x 40 mg) could that be fatal...?
  16. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

This worked better for me than prozac for a while.

Now it doesn't do shit except make me feel tired and emotionless.
  17. alphonse

alphonse New Member

I've been on Citalopram for 2 months now after a period of a year without any medication. It seems to be depression has really eased and I feel very balanced right now. I took it for anxiety though. I think that it helped a lot with anxiety but yes I did have some fatigue and stomach upset. It also made me gain about twenty pounds in the end because it made my apetite larger.
  18. alexloramer

alexloramer Member

Like many SSRI's it takes a while to kick in. I wouldn;t get down because it's not changing things immediately. Give it time and believe it will work. Enhance the placebo. That's the best advice I can give.
  19. Stray

Stray Account Closed

I lost my sex drive on it.
  20. varek

varek Well-Known Member

me freakin' too :(

I think it's helped with the anxiety but nothing else.