Citalopram - is it a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Nelly_, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelly_

Nelly_ Member

Im on 40mg and it does nothing at all.
  2. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

tell your psychiatrist that...

hopefully, they will change your meds...
  3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Medication will react differently with each person...hence there are so many available.

Citalopram didn't work for me, but that's not to say it won't work for you.

You might require a dosage change and if still no success then another drug will be chosen.

As the above poster said, let your doctor know.
  4. alexman

alexman Banned Member

how long have you been on them?
  5. stephcab25

stephcab25 Active Member

It did nothing for me, even being upped to 60, which I believe is the max.

Now I'm on Paxil and Abilify and the combo works better.
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

You need a few weeks usually to see effects, but as said it could do nothing at all for you while being the only drug that seems to work for me.
  7. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

I was on it for a year, and several months of 60mg (which apparently is the max) and it did nothing for me, I told them endlessly but nothing was changed. Then they changed it after a serious attempt.

Tell them its not working for you, get them to listen so they can give you something that really works. I lost an entire year of spiraling downwards, don't let that happen to you, be honest so they can increase the dose or change it or whatever! You deserve to feel better!

Good Luck!
  8. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

It can take a while to find one that works for you. I should know I have tried most of them. I tried I think 5 different ones before finding one that had some impact. So don't give up hope. Just because that one didn't work doesn't mean there isn't one that will work.

Next time you see your GP or PDoc ask for medication review. Explain that you don't feel it's working and ask for another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.