CJD question

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by NoMoneyToPlease, Feb 23, 2011.

1. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Hello,I am wondering if it should be commonplace for meat eaters or new vegetarians/vegans who have entered into a relationship with vegetarians or vegans to be screened for CJD or "mad cows disease" as it is also known.

Is it ethical for an untested person who has been consuming meat to expect a non meat eater to more or less go blindly into a relationship with them, considering that this horrific illness may be passed on to them through intimate contact.

I know instances of human infection are rare but considering the low quality meat most people consume,shouldn't this become a lifestyle question of our time?

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'd find that very strange.

3. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Vegetables can give you diseases too, when you start thinking about things like that you can have a person tested for all kinds of diseases.All respect to the vegetarians/vegans, but you're not healthier just cause you don't eat meat.

I think it'd be more important in an new relationship to be tested for std's, they're much more of a danger then the food stuff :smile:

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

CJD is extremely difficult to transmit, with the only transmission methods known so far being eating afflicted meat and blood donation. Unless you're transfusing blood between your lover and yourself or one of you is a vorophile (probably ultra-rare among vegetarians), you're 100% safe...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011
  5. NoMoneyToPlease

@cult logic-How so? :)

@Stormrider-what kind of diseases can one contract from vegetables?Not potato blight I hope? :)

@aoeu-The science behind my question may be more akin to fear of witchcraft.To be honest I started wondering about transmission of CJD after hearing on the radio about the very high temperatures needed to kill the virus. :stereo:

What is a vorophile? :unsure:

6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

The absurdity of the idea, I would say.

7. NoMoneyToPlease

Fair enough.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Vorophilia = paraphilia involving eating your lover or being eaten by them. Actually exists.

9. NoMoneyToPlease

Yikes!
    Can't that also affect the brain with indigestible proteins?:Leiaha:

10. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

:blink:
    Think you need to see someone for an unhealthy germ/desiease phobia.
    These things are EXTREMELY hard to transmit through intamet contact as you put it.
    If your going to go that far, you may aswell not touch money etc :blink:
    Its a very unhealthy thought process to have

11. NoMoneyToPlease

I am simply fielding the question,why is that unhealthy?

Do you not think it is right to want to respect the body sanctity of a lover?

I mean,if you eat meat and there is even a slight chance that you could do harm to someone you care about,is it not healthy to think about the effect your actions may have on someone you exchange body fluids with?

You do know how AIDS developed don't you?
    It found it's way to us via bush meat.

12. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

No because quite frankly your just being paranoid over something that isn't going to fucking happen in the first.

Like others have said you should be more worried about STDs.

13. NoMoneyToPlease

You are perfectly sure that that CJD prions cannot survive in protein rich semen?

Here is a Wikipedia extract touching on the subject of sperm being a transmitting agent for human CJD.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sperm donor restrictions

In the U.S., the FDA has banned import of any donor sperm, motivated by a risk of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, inhibiting the once popular[26] import of, for example, Scandinavian sperm. The risk, however, is not known, since artificial insemination has not been studied as a route of transmission.[27] It is also not known whether prions cross the blood-testis barrier.[27]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human CJD is already classed as and STD.
    Ignorance is no defense.

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's a real bullshit move on the part of the FDA, promoting fear based on ignorance. "It's not clear at all that CJD prions can even enter the sperm, nevertheless infect the woman using it but we're banning it anyway!"

Their ruling is 100% ignorance. CJD is not classed as an STD in any REASONABLE system.

15. NoMoneyToPlease

I partially agree.
    If a sperm type is popular then who's to say you can't have it for this or that reason.

16. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Applicable to the original post.
    I have been a vegetarian for nearly 26 years and was a vegan for 12 of those.
    Tbh if she was lovely inside and out, i couldnt care less.

17. NoMoneyToPlease

You would make the ultimate sacrifice for love.

Any woman is lucky to have you my friend.