Clarification needed

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Summer/Autumn, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer/Autumn

Summer/Autumn Active Member

Hi all

I don't mean to exclude members from other counties but I would like I would like some advice and clarification please on English mental health procedures and law.

I know I haven't been doing very well recently (in the past week) and two different mental health workers have tried to get me to hospital. Once because I said I wanted to kill myself and the once because I'd taken a large overdose and I'd rung him and told him so and then refused to go to A&E. Anyway, on neither of these 2 occasions have there been any follow up the next day - no phone call or anything. My question is this 'is this normal procedure - to threaten hospitalisation on one day and then the next day pretend it never happened?' I don't know about you, but if I was doing their job, I'd want to phone them the next day and see how they was - especially with the overdose.

Thanks for your answers in advance!

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Being that you said you were going to harm yourself follow up on your situation would be wise they did call an ambulance the second time and you refused the help so i don't know if they thought you did not want it they cannot force you to take help. I do still think they needed to follow up even with a phone call though hugs

3. Summer/Autumn

After about 20 minutes of talking to him over the phone, I talked him out of calling for an ambulance. I must admit that I told him a lie about when I'd taken the pills - I told him I'd taken (whatever it was) in 2 session, 1 lot in the morning and another lot in the afternoon. Whereas, in fact I'd taken them all together in 1 huge go. But anyway he didn't call an ambulance.

It's not the first time I've taken an overdose - in fact I do it everyday. But I've started to OD on a different drug too at the same time as the others.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think you need to reach out and get help for you and stop the od okay. You don't understnd the damage you are doing to your internal organs One day they will stopworking and it will begun very painful for you you might even need dialysis to keep your kidneys working. STop it now okay reachout and get some help for you now okay therapy to help you change the way you cope hugs

5. Summer/Autumn

Have tried to reach out - this was or is one of the responses to it. Now I know to them I'm just another number or just another one of those odd service users to them. When you're on the phone to them they say 'they care' (being the nurses that they are), but I think it's really a case of out of sight, out of mind. The reason I want to stop seeing them is because they keep 'threatening' me with hospitalisation. If they had tried to do something about things when I first came to their attention 3 years ago - things might have worked out differently. This time I've been seeing them for about a year, and to be honest I had about enough as I can take. I haven't got enough nerve to kill myself out right so I like to play Russian roulette - maybe this time the OD will kill me and then again maybe not this time but the next.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.