Class presentation tommorow

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by TWF, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I need tips on how not to get nervous. I have to solo an entire topic (the only person in a group of 5 SOLO. Fucktards dumped it on me), so I know it'll be at least 3 minutes talking. But I can't even last 10 seconds before I stumble on words serverly and sound like an embarrassment.
  2. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

If theres other people doing presentation observe how they speak.
    I notice that many good speakers don't worry to much if they make mistakes, they just carry on talking as if it didn't happen at all.
    Talk slower if you find yourself stumbling.
    That's all I can say. Good luck for tommorow.
  3. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

If you stumble on a word or begin to stutter, stop talking and take a breath. Then continue. That's really the only advice I have... 3 minutes isn't much though. It should not be that bad
  4. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

I have a few tips when I have been asked to do a presentations

Rehearse it with friends/collegues.
    Know your material well
    Pretend your audience is a single person and talk to "him/her" in that way
    If you can, get people invloved and ask them about things you are talking about.
    Invite opinions
    If you mess up..keep going.

And in my case..
    Wear my reading glasses so everyone looks fuzzy to stop distracting yourself with any negative 'vibes' or looks. (it works for me)

5. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

There are a lot of little things you can do. The first is to breath. Your body needs air to speak. Talk slowly being sure to breath.

Next make some note cards. Make sure to follow them. Finally don't lock up you body. Do not fidget but do not be a statue.

These are the things I did to get through my speeches. I hope this helps.
  6. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

:( sorry this is late. How did you presentation go?

If another presentation pops up, one aspect of dealing with it is to believe what you are saying. If you believe and understand what you are researching, as you write out your presentation, write it out from your personal point of view 100%. Don't write things you are unsure about, write about what you believe and make it something you know to be the truth. This helps you in the fact that you are standing up there and informing people about your particular topic. At that point you're not hidden in your sheets your actually attempting to relay some information to people, so they can understand what you have researched, and also so they can understand you a bit better.

Anyhow. Do you know why you stumble? Is it because of your classmates looking at you or the sound of your own voice, or like the focus of attention or the dominating aspect of having to be right because people are listening to you? Or something else? It might help you to talk about it a bit
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.