"class teacher hour"

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by MourningAngel, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

once in a while our class teacher makes a special "class teacher hour" with us and discusses different topics with us (like the amok stuff on in germany atm) i'm pondering on asking her to start a discussion about SH. Just to know what others say. i don't know if i will "out myself" but i'm really courius about what my class mates know and think about it.
    should i give it a try?
    what kind of experiences have you made?

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

heya ..
    could b a good idea 2 mention it .. but b aware that it might trigger if u dont get responses u want .. iv ther been myself..
    un4tunatly alot of ppl have dim views on SH.. so u might hear some things that wont b helpful.. on the other hand .. u might have an amazing class that r really supportive and u get alot out of it !
    i hope what ever u decide it works out :) x

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

depends how old the others in your class are. if you think they're mature enough to handle it then go for it.

TDM

4. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

should i out myself?
    if not, what can i say without them noticing that i speak from experience and/or getting suspicious?
    thx for your replies :hugtackles:

5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

You can say that you've been reading about it online (which is not a lie) and you're interested in discussing it with the class because you believe it may be supportive/educational to anyone who may be going through that in your class, or if anyone in your class knows people like that. That keeping such things in the closet only perpetuates it. Also that it would be educational to those who are unfamiliar, who may have negative reactions, which only serves to harm another human being further. You can make it appear (truthfully!) that you're concerned for others who may be dealing with this issue.

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I don't think you should out yourself in the classroom. Not knowing the reactions of some, plus that of your teacher, I am afraid it can make things worse for you. Raising the topic itself and informing your classmates about it is a good idea. Awareness needs to be raised so that those suffering with these issues are not afraid to seek help. I wish you luck in your efforts. :hug:

7. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

How do you expect a bunch of teenagers who don't know anything about self-harming to react to you outing yourself? My guess is they won't understand and just label you an emo freak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.