Cleaned out my desk today.......

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by tacoper8er, Mar 26, 2015.

1. tacoper8er

tacoper8er Member

It seems like I am getting smaller....as in my footprint on the world. Wherever I have normally been, it doesn't seem like I belong anymore. This isn't by choice, like at work. I wasn't fired. My new boss has this idea about clutter, and his idea of clutter makes a serious OCD case look like the common cold. I had to remove anything that was not business related, even the pictures of my kids, or the other small things they gave me to keep with me. Which, were the only thing that kept me motivated to keep working. Now I can't even look up and see them anymore.

I am so tired. Not even sure why I should get out of bed tomorrow. I am sitting here looking at the box of stuff I brought home with me and its just depressing and thinking about going in tomorrow without at least a picture is practically putting me in a panic. They are my only touchstone, and I don't think I can do t without them.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am sorry your boss has a problem but you can take the pictures with you ok in a pocket or wallet but keep them close to you ok Boss cannot tell you what to keep on your personal self

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

What about photos on your phone and do slideshow as screensaver ?

I can't have personal photos at my desks at the houses I work in due to my clients behavioral nature but I look at my phone of my pets/family as wallpapers to keep me going. So many people in the workforce don't have that luxury to hang a photo anyways. Just letting you know there's so many people whose jobs can't do that, you're not alone.

4. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

Your boss sounds like an idiot, to be blunt. Lowering employees morale by denying them access to the touchstones that give their lives meaning also lowers productivity and has a negative impact on the bottom line. It is one thing to limit the number of items and to insist they don't form an untidy sprawl across your desk but to eliminate them entirely is stupid. Maybe since he's new on the job he's trying to mark his territory and this will loosen up in time. One can only hope.

When you say you had to clean out your desk - do you mean this guy actually inspected the inside? That really IS ocd. My sympathies with you while you cope with this very difficult person.

Any possibility of carrying photos and videos on a smart phone?

5. tacoper8er

tacoper8er Member

They freak out if they see us with a phone out. I think I will print some pictures to keep in my pocket.

My desk really doesn't have drawers...and over head shelf for binders and cubbies so everything is open, and yeah he came around and looked in every one. It was ridiculous.

Thanks for the replies and help...