Cleaning and Mental Health

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I have found the worse my mental state the harder time I have with tasks like cleaning. It isn't that I don't want to do it, or even that it doesn't bother me it isn't done, I simply fail to have the energy or ability to complete the task. When I find myself in that state I set small goals. Instead of looking at all the things that need to be done, I say I'm going to clean up this table or these dishes or this corner and then I'm going to play my game before I pick some thing else to clean. It takes longer in the sense that I don't just start and finish the whole process at once, but if I don't do it that way it won't get done at all.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
So if there are dirty dishes in the sink, say a stack of plates. Do you pick up a plate and not know how to go about cleaning it? I'm not being facetious, this is something you're clearly struggling with. Maybe you just need a little bit of guidance on where to begin, and I'd like to know exactly where the problem begins. We can maybe work on a solution then.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I have found the worse my mental state the harder time I have with tasks like cleaning. It isn't that I don't want to do it, or even that it doesn't bother me it isn't done, I simply fail to have the energy or ability to complete the task. When I find myself in that state I set small goals. Instead of looking at all the things that need to be done, I say I'm going to clean up this table or these dishes or this corner and then I'm going to play my game before I pick some thing else to clean. It takes longer in the sense that I don't just start and finish the whole process at once, but if I don't do it that way it won't get done at all.
That a good point, Nick. Sometimes we can get too overwhelmed and that stops us in our tracks. Breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks can certainly be effective.

bag_of_struggles

So if there are dirty dishes in the sink, say a stack of plates. Do you pick up a plate and not know how to go about cleaning it? I'm not being facetious, this is something you're clearly struggling with. Maybe you just need a little bit of guidance on where to begin, and I'd like to know exactly where the problem begins. We can maybe work on a solution then.
Naw nothing like that. I know how to clean. I can actually enjoy doing laundry and dishes and things.

how about playing music whilst you do it? sometimes I find that gives me more motivation cause it feels a bit less boring. I listen to rock music, and the energy from that usually perks me up at least somewhat. Not always though, sometimes I feel so down I don't even have the motivation to listen to music in the first place, I become apathetic to it.

My room's been an absolute dump most of this year, you can barely see the carpet everything's in such a mess cause I just cant face doing it cause I feel so depressed. I try to do tiny bits at a time. I think that makes it a little easier

bag_of_struggles

Yeah that’s my problem. Everything is just so overwhelming. And it’s not even like once I manage to clean everything I’ll be able to keep it that way. I’ll just have to do it all again next time I accidentally let everything go to shit.

how about playing music whilst you do it? sometimes I find that gives me more motivation cause it feels a bit less boring. I listen to rock music, and the energy from that usually perks me up at least somewhat. Not always though, sometimes I feel so down I don't even have the motivation to listen to music in the first place, I become apathetic to it.

My room's been an absolute dump most of this year, you can barely see the carpet everything's in such a mess cause I just cant face doing it cause I feel so depressed. I try to do tiny bits at a time. I think that makes it a little easier
That’s kind of where I’m at. I try to put on music and clean up. But then I just get so overwhelmed by how bad I am at being alive and all like “what’s the point” that I tend to give up. It’s also super mentally exhausting for me.

That’s kind of where I’m at. I try to put on music and clean up. But then I just get so overwhelmed by how bad I am at being alive and all like “what’s the point” that I tend to give up. It’s also super mentally exhausting for me.
yeah I can relate. It is really hard to get anything done. I'm sick of my room looking awful but at the same time I can't find the will to sort it out. I did a tiny bit today, but im overwhelmed by how much is left to do. I notice that I do feel better mentally once things are cleaned I wish I had more willpower to get stuff done sooner

yeah I can relate. It is really hard to get anything done. I'm sick of my room looking awful but at the same time I can't find the will to sort it out. I did a tiny bit today, but im overwhelmed by how much is left to do. I notice that I do feel better mentally once things are cleaned I wish I had more willpower to get stuff done sooner
It’s emberassing too for me. Cause like, people see the way I live. And they say just clean it but... idk it makes me wanna cry.

Like it should just be a normal person thing to do and it’s so hard for some reason. I feel like I look so pathetic and that I’m apathetic. I’m really not. I care a lot.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I have the same issue with cleaning, dishes pile up, laundry is always done on the last day, I spend more time staring at it that it would take to DO the cleaning, in the end I only ever really clean when people come over, otherwise it is bare minimum.

I do have 2 tricks I use when it gets too bad though:

1) I listen to music that I find has a trudging momentum to it (strangely the OST for Death Stranding seems to work lately) focusing on the music helps take me out of the moment until I am already mid-clean and then the momentum of the music helps keep me going.

2) I employ "Advanced Procrastination". If you dont want to do something, put off doing it by doing prep tasks. for example, if you dont want to do the dishes, move the dishes around and stack them instead, wipe a surface or two, throw some rubbish, do all the tasks that sort of lead into the task youre avoiding whilst focusing on the task you're avoiding. If i wanted to wipe down the kitchen counters, I wouldn't have the motivation, but if I wanted to do the dishes, cleaning the counters is easy in order to avoid doing the dishes. In the end the prep tasks eventually start building up momentum until the task you wanted to do is just the last inevitable step and your momentum carries you through.

In short, its all about finding ways to start, after you have, keeping going is easier.

Legate Lanius

2) I employ "Advanced Procrastination". If you dont want to do something, put off doing it by doing prep tasks. for example, if you dont want to do the dishes, move the dishes around and stack them instead, wipe a surface or two, throw some rubbish, do all the tasks that sort of lead into the task youre avoiding whilst focusing on the task you're avoiding. If i wanted to wipe down the kitchen counters, I wouldn't have the motivation, but if I wanted to do the dishes, cleaning the counters is easy in order to avoid doing the dishes. In the end the prep tasks eventually start building up momentum until the task you wanted to do is just the last inevitable step and your momentum carries you through.
*thumbsup

I have the same issue with cleaning, dishes pile up, laundry is always done on the last day, I spend more time staring at it that it would take to DO the cleaning, in the end I only ever really clean when people come over, otherwise it is bare minimum.

I do have 2 tricks I use when it gets too bad though:

1) I listen to music that I find has a trudging momentum to it (strangely the OST for Death Stranding seems to work lately) focusing on the music helps take me out of the moment until I am already mid-clean and then the momentum of the music helps keep me going.

In short, its all about finding ways to start, after you have, keeping going is easier.
Love the term Advanced Procrastination.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00