Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by GabrielConroy, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

On the issue of heavy manipulation, only the damning e-mails were released, and out of context.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Why would I read something by someone whose first paragraph contains a self-proclamation that "everything he says is right"...I guess he means the 'far-right'.
  4. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Because a theory that is supported by virtually every major scientific body, supported by mountains of data, and that is continuing to be confirmed by new data, will be utterly destroyed be a few out of context emails!

I see now, that's how science works! How could I have been so blind?
  5. GabrielConroy

some of the emails even in context prove that they were heavily manipulating the data

and will you people ever learn to actually think instead of having knee jerk reactions? Doesn't look like it.
  6. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Will you ever learn to question sources? Hmm. 'Doesn't look like it.'

Even if they were manipulating data, they could only manipulate one data set. They couldn't manipulate all of the climate work that's been done to support anthropogenic global warming.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I have read it, I have thought about it. A tiny fraction of the correspondences at a single university were released. There is NO context offered, we only saw what someone with an agenda wanted us to see. If all of the correspondences at all universities were released, then there would be some context.
  8. GabrielConroy

Global warming happening over the last 30 years or so is pretty incontrovertible and this doesnt change that

It's the scientific scandal bit thats interesting
  9. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Ahhh global warming nonsense... I’m glad that at least some people aren’t buying it anymore.
  10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I don't believe it matters whether it is real or not. At some point in the future we're going to have to find cleaner, cheaper, alternative fuels anyway, so there's no harm in starting now, unless your a big oil company with profits to lose. And you'd never guess which companies are funding climate change skeptic organisations? Exxonmobil, BP, Shell, big oil companies with profits to lose.
  11. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

All they have is 5 or 6 sentences out of 1079 emails and 72 documents

of a private convo, taken out of context

============ vs

years and years of climate research that has led to a consensus

Since 2007, no scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion. A few organisations hold non-committal positions.

I wonder how much Exxon paid the hacker?

Also, you cannot trust anything coming from the right wing. These people treat facts as opinions and opinions as facts, and consequences be damned.

Many of them want to teach in school that the Earth is 6000 yrs old and that man lived with dinosaurs!!! AS IF IT IS SCIENCE!

These are the same people who want creationism taught in school. These are the same people who locked up Galileo for discovering that the universe does not revolve around the earth. These are the same people who start wars. These are the same people who are against healthcare for every citizen. These are the same people who believe it is OK to give up essential civil liberties in the name of national security. These are the same people who looked the other way while New Orleans was under water.

These are the people that will destroy Mankind
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2009
  12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

None of this automatically refutes the the human factor in the global warming debate, despite the author's arrogant assertion. That was only one, seemingly out of context, source. The three other institutions from which the IPCC draws it's data still remaind valid. I frankly don't see how this completely invalidates the entire issue.

Most likely, the opposition is going to milk this silly little scandal for all it's worth.
  13. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I take that last statement back, apparently BP and Shell are investing in alternative fuels. I must of read an out of date page.
  14. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think the wheels are in motion for a deal in Copenhagen, but I dont think it will be enough to avert the rising tide. I really dont think these emails will change a great deal at the leaders table. They will attempt to say that something impressive has been done, to avert the fallout of nothing being done, they will probably present a figure, an average that can be widely reported, hopefully with some intention to make it legally binding in the very near future, but I personally think the horse has bolted on climate change. Even with serious cuts on 1990 or 2005 levels in the developed world, the developing would will continue to have significant increases in CO'2 emissions. China and India have both stated its unavoidable, and I tend to agree with that at this stage of the game, with where they are on the development ladder. There still building coal burning power stations constantly, how could you possibly see that climate change is avoidable at this stage? Throw in a population expected to hit 9 billion, and even with massive cuts, we should see at least a 2 degree rise, perhaps more, based on the science atm, which is constantly changing, always for the worse. So many triggers in the physical world that could accelerate the process dramatically or see it take a turn nobody predicted. In order to have any hope we would have to mobilise as if WW3 was about to break out, and nobody is that serious.

I still think we should invest in alternatives though because if we dont, it just gets worse, instead of a highly likely 2 - 4 degree's, if we continue like we are, it just guarantee's that outcome or something far worse...Like I said, the science just gets more pessimistic with every update. Plus, why any country would choose to have their electricity production or transport so reliant on incoming fossil fuels from another country is beyond me, especially when that country is relatively wealthy and has the technical ability and physical manpower to change, like the U.S and potentially much of Europe. There are so many alternatives already, it makes sense to look towards a future without fossil fuels.

All of this doesnt even talk about the impact it will have on the animal and plant world. Not just talking about extinctions, but any possible impacts on the food chain, any animal and plant behaviour that humans rely upon for our source of food, polination of plants etc. I shudder to think what flow on effects that's going to have. Next 100 year's are gonna be interesting, and more than a little scary.
  15. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

16. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Global warming is real, we get the information from satellites. Satellites don't lie. Don't make your mama cry by not believing in global warming. I, for one, can't wait for the tidal waves, the hurricanes, and the floods. For mankind deserves it.

17. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There are 30,000 scientists currently suing Al Gore, because he refuses to talk or debate with them about Global Warming.

Al Gore, the biggest supporter of the Global Warming theory, is going to be making a lot of money off this carbon taxing that is soon to happen as a result of this faulty science that so many have bought into.
  18. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Well he said he's right about everything, he's written fantastically entertaining books, he in no way sounds like a tool or a douche so he must be onto something.
  19. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

20. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.