Closing Off Too Fast?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lone_Wolf, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I've noticed now that I close off pretty much to everybody. Like if you push me to a certain point like an actually friendship or girlfriend I'll close completely off and I can't open up anymore.

Does anyone else suffer for this?
    Do you know a way to overcome this? :sad:

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have i seem to push people away because i am afraid of being hurt again I often say friendships hurt so much because eventually people leave or go away and you feel abandoned again. I think the only way to stop this is to fight the urge next time and not sign off to talk your way thru it and explain to the other person what is going on what you are feeling trust is a big thing but somehow you have to trust yourself and the other person that no harm will come to staying and talking take care.

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'd assume you just have to resist doing it.

Though I'm kind of the same way, tbh.

4. Lone_Wolf

It's like I get severly irritated with the person and I get so angry that I kind of black out from the situation. Then afterwards I wonder why I did that. :(

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

*puts hand up*

I'm a nightmare to know. For me, its a defence mechanism because of people previously messing with me, and its how I have worked out how to protect myself.

When you are doing it, are you aware of it and of the pattern? If you are, maybe next time try and confront it and actually explain to that person what you are doing and why. They will probably understand and want to help you through it.

6. Lone_Wolf

I do it when anyone tries to talk to me. Like I black out with anger or go into my little world. If I go into my world I like for the people to be quiet so I can hear what the people are saying. I get so annoyed that I don't even realize I do it until it's over. My mom is scared of mentally ill ppl so I can't tell her.

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I see this a lot on SF it is like you hit a raw nerve or something and the other person shuts down totally.

I too do it when certain topics are broached and it is because it hurts too much. I try and make myself drive through it cause I don't want to shut myself off from life totally and become dead inside.

8. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I hang on to everyones sleeves "please love me", "please like me", "please be my friends" and all just keep me invalid joke and I still continue begging...

9. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm worried that I'm the same way. But it's kind of hard to tell, as the only people I can "close off" are ones online (I don't interact with anyone in real life, save for my family, and it's killing me).

I wish I could tell you how to overcome it, but I don't know. It seems to be a common thing with depression.

10. Lone_Wolf

I have nobody I talk to in real life either. I shut down way to fast. I'm even distant to my family, that's what hurts, and sometimes I just don't care anymore. Right now I care though....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.