clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i have some thoughts/questions/concerns

1) does anyone wear clothing? JK!!! but i wonder, do you just follow trends, styles, status quo, traditions?
for me, i hate all of those. i hate a suit and tie. i hate jeans. and i hate pants with lots of pockets no matter how convenient they may be. and shorts, down to the knee? that is like burying myself under a quilt and electric blanket on a hot summer night. they should call those 3/4 length. unfortunately i have to wear long pants instead because i won’t buy what’s expected of me to buy according to society.

2) i wonder if i could make myself fit in in another society that dresses differently. i’d love to give it a try but actually going there might be a bit difficult. if you found yourself in a different country and society, would you dress as they do?

3) there has been an awful lot of suggestion these days that with covid 19 around and people using zoom and other video ways of connecting that many just sit there in front of the camera with no pants on and no one knows (but everyone suspects), well, are you in or are you out??? pun intended!! and if you did not put your pants on, i’d venture to guess that you may have some interesting answers for the above questions.

4) well here it is: i can’t help thinking that when someone strays from the norm - particularly a man - that he is sexually deviating from the norm. why “sexually” i wonder! and i wonder if this is just my own thinking or of the many. there may be something “politically” incorrect about putting it this way, but i do also feel that that is at the back of many’s minds if not actually at the forefront. but i’m also sure that many do approach this much more honestly and truly and i’d love to hear those comments and also those who just feel trapped in their own assigned mold and unable to break free whatever being free may be.

well hows this for starters? there was a song many years ago by the kinks i believe. i’m an ape man... inspiring. i’m thinking about this and more... or less as the case may be. but most importantly freedom to choose....

hey, what do you think?

d

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hey man,
I am certainly not trend setting. I wear a uniform to work which has a (mandatory) tshirt underneath so I most often spend my life in that tshirt and a pair of shorts. If I go out I used to just switch from house-shorts to outside the house shorts LOL
Associated - now I wear jeans when I leave the house because (related to part 2 of your question) yes, I've assimilated from dressing like an American to dressing a bit more UK-like. I used to wear a baseball cap every single day, I used to wear shorts *all the time*, I used to wear tshirts with band logos or The Walking Dead (or whatever else printed). All of that is out now because people just don't wear that shit there. I've adopted sweaters and button down shirts for going to the freaking supermarket when here in the US I was wearing.. well, shorts and a tshirt with a band on the front.
I dont know about all this about how deviating from the "norm" is sexually motivated or politically motivated. I just know that I don't want anyone looking at me for any reason whatsoever. I feel like I am enough of a walking freak show as it is without adding "look at the jackass American" to the front of their minds and making them glance even a second longer than they need to.

ShyGuy

I wish I could wear cute clothes.. some people might make fun of me, like my parents.. my mom already told me that my dad complains that my underwear doesn't look manly enough.. even though I'm in my thirties..

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hey man,
I am certainly not trend setting. I wear a uniform to work which has a (mandatory) tshirt underneath so I most often spend my life in that tshirt and a pair of shorts. If I go out I used to just switch from house-shorts to outside the house shorts LOL
Associated - now I wear jeans when I leave the house because (related to part 2 of your question) yes, I've assimilated from dressing like an American to dressing a bit more UK-like. I used to wear a baseball cap every single day, I used to wear shorts *all the time*, I used to wear tshirts with band logos or The Walking Dead (or whatever else printed). All of that is out now because people just don't wear that shit there. I've adopted sweaters and button down shirts for going to the freaking supermarket when here in the US I was wearing.. well, shorts and a tshirt with a band on the front.
I dont know about all this about how deviating from the "norm" is sexually motivated or politically motivated. I just know that I don't want anyone looking at me for any reason whatsoever. I feel like I am enough of a walking freak show as it is without adding "look at the jackass American" to the front of their minds and making them glance even a second longer than they need to.
I hope you don't mind that I felt humor in your reply walker, (& @ShyGuy ), and it put a smile on my face. But that is more how you put it i guess.

But I think it shows how society is forcing people to be other than who they really are while being forced to struggle to not be who others are thinking they should be and not be who others are thinking they shouldn't be. Yet "the orhers" are probably struggling too and we all really need some good liberation in order to all be ourselves and be real and accepting.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
LOL @Sunspots
I bought this (photo! why are you SO BIG?!?!) and I barely took it off after I got it. I haven't worn a sweater (jumper I guess you guys are calling that) since I was a kid and was stealing them off my dad.
1598649856537.png But I am definitely always in button downs, jumpers and this style tshirt which Lu has decided she likes on me: 1598650010262.png

PrincessPure

Well, I guess I kinda follow the trends which I find cute. Lets say the who "girls wearing men's shirts"
I however hate tailored pants and .... yea I just hate pants. Skirts all the way. And preferably short skirts cause it's youthful.
Fit in other societies? In some of them you won't have a choice. Trust me.

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
1) does anyone wear clothing? JK!!! but i wonder, do you just follow trends, styles, status quo, traditions?
for me, i hate all of those. i hate a suit and tie. i hate jeans. and i hate pants with lots of pockets no matter how convenient they may be. and shorts, down to the knee? that is like burying myself under a quilt and electric blanket on a hot summer night. they should call those 3/4 length. unfortunately i have to wear long pants instead because i won’t buy what’s expected of me to buy according to society.
Oh yeah, i have a really specific style i follow. I'd say it's 1 part homeless dude to 1 part enforcer for the Ukranian mafia.
In other words if my choice of clothing disgusts or scares people, i feel like i'm doing something right.
It's what i like wearing and screw anybody that has a problem with that.
I also once had a teacher at college tell me i should get a haircut because i'm "a 5 with long hair and a 7 with short hair". I then proceeded to not get a haircut for the entire rest of my last year there because he said that.

2) i wonder if i could make myself fit in in another society that dresses differently. i’d love to give it a try but actually going there might be a bit difficult. if you found yourself in a different country and society, would you dress as they do?
As my previous answer suggests, i say throw trying to fit in out the window. If you dress in your own unique way, you may get more funny looks on the street, but it can easily be incorporated as part of your charm. People tend to respect and even kinda envy those who have the courage to be their authentic selves. Within reason, anyway, if you're walking down the street in a Mr. Blobby costume, you've probably gone too far and you're going to make small children cry in terror.
1598653846088.png

3) there has been an awful lot of suggestion these days that with covid 19 around and people using zoom and other video ways of connecting that many just sit there in front of the camera with no pants on and no one knows (but everyone suspects), well, are you in or are you out??? pun intended!! and if you did not put your pants on, i’d venture to guess that you may have some interesting answers for the above questions.
I'd say i'd wear trousers, but not because of the call so much as i just hate the feel of not wearing them. That being said, i'm also the kind of guy that will nip down to the shop in my pajamas, and spend 99% of my time at home wearing them.

4) well here it is: i can’t help thinking that when someone strays from the norm - particularly a man - that he is sexually deviating from the norm. why “sexually” i wonder! and i wonder if this is just my own thinking or of the many. there may be something “politically” incorrect about putting it this way, but i do also feel that that is at the back of many’s minds if not actually at the forefront. but i’m also sure that many do approach this much more honestly and truly and i’d love to hear those comments and also those who just feel trapped in their own assigned mold and unable to break free whatever being free may be.
There's actually a feminist theory (i know, i know, but hang on) that there's no such thing as one form of masculinity, but in fact a whole spectrum of different ways of performing masculinity. As such it doesn't need to be all beer-swilling, football-watching hooliganism. And equally, i think this could easily be extrapolated to apply to femininity too, meaning that there are numerous ways in which one can perform femininity that aren't just shopping and doing makeup.
So to suggest that someone is straying from the norm implies that i feel there is one standardised norm that each gender must adhere to.
Seriously, don't even get me started on the gender spectrum and how that throws gender norms out the window then lights them on fire.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Oh yeah, i have a really specific style i follow. I'd say it's 1 part homeless dude to 1 part enforcer for the Ukranian mafia.
In other words if my choice of clothing disgusts or scares people, i feel like i'm doing something right.
It's what i like wearing and screw anybody that has a problem with that.
I also once had a teacher at college tell me i should get a haircut because i'm "a 5 with long hair and a 7 with short hair". I then proceeded to not get a haircut for the entire rest of my last year there because he said that.

As my previous answer suggests, i say throw trying to fit in out the window. If you dress in your own unique way, you may get more funny looks on the street, but it can easily be incorporated as part of your charm. People tend to respect and even kinda envy those who have the courage to be their authentic selves. Within reason, anyway, if you're walking down the street in a Mr. Blobby costume, you've probably gone too far and you're going to make small children cry in terror.
View attachment 37052

I'd say i'd wear trousers, but not because of the call so much as i just hate the feel of not wearing them. That being said, i'm also the kind of guy that will nip down to the shop in my pajamas, and spend 99% of my time at home wearing them.

There's actually a feminist theory (i know, i know, but hang on) that there's no such thing as one form of masculinity, but in fact a whole spectrum of different ways of performing masculinity. As such it doesn't need to be all beer-swilling, football-watching hooliganism. And equally, i think this could easily be extrapolated to apply to femininity too, meaning that there are numerous ways in which one can perform femininity that aren't just shopping and doing makeup.
So to suggest that someone is straying from the norm implies that i feel there is one standardised norm that each gender must adhere to.
Seriously, don't even get me started on the gender spectrum and how that throws gender norms out the window then lights them on fire.
that might be exactly what I was driving at...

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I don't follow trends, never have. I grew up in a small town and I made it my mission to make all the old people cross the road rather than dare to walk past me. But I suppose even being a punk became a trend in a way as I found the other local punks and we banded together.
Now I just wear what I like. I'm not very adventurous, I know the kind of thing I like and hopefully it doesn't make me look too hideous. I don't ever wear shorts, even on the beach, nobody needs to see my knees. I tend to live in cropped jeans and tshirts in the summer and ankle length skirts with jumpers in the winter.

Yeah, I'd try to fit in to a certain extent. I'd try to adhere to any cultural or religious rules (covering hair, shoulders etc). But I think I'd keep the essence of my identity.

Ugh, I hate video calls. I try to avoid them at all costs, even with close family and friends. What if the doorbell rang and you stood up without remembering you had no pants on? No, just no. I'd die of embarrassment.

I hate the idea of having to conform to a gender stereotype with clothing. Maybe that's why I was drawn to punk as a teenager and later a goth. I've never wanted to see myself as a typical girly girl and I've never found your typical blokey guy attractive. I like someone who isn't afraid to look different, to have their own ideas and is comfortable with being themselves. Whatever that style may be, if you're comfortable with it, it gives off an appealing air of confidence and self.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I made it my mission to make all the old people cross the road rather than dare to walk past me. But I suppose even being a punk became a trend in a way as I found the other local punks and we banded together.
I think choosing to dress as you did was great!!! I also think banding together is great. What I find troubling is my whole life you can go into stores everywhere and see so much of the same thing wherever you go. How many people actually dress differently? I have a feeling many want to but are afraid to. I find much of the clothing I'm expected to wear uncomfortable and odd looking on me. I see myself in the mirror and cringe but I wear it and suffer because it is a requirement. Dressing that way is just not me! I feel like an alien in some of the clothing I'm required to wear. But I don't want to make a spectacle of myself either and that would happen because we teach the members of society to expect only certain things or you look like a punk or have sexual leanings or belong to a sect and so on. I lack the courage to live up to my own differences even if it makes others feel uncomfortable. But why is it a case of me or them? I believe there needs to be more variety and more acceptance of who you are or of who you're not and that you are not necessarily who you might be imagined to be. Wearing clothing not suited to the individual is not comfortable and is inhibiting but I don't think it needs to be that way.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Sneakers, jeans, Dickies work-shirt over plain t-shirt. Everything plain nondescript and functional. The Dickies shirt makes me look like some kind of maintenance man, which means most peoples' eyes just glide right past me no matter what setting I'm in.

I'd do my best to adjust my clothing in another environment or culture, but I'd be looking to create the same effect, to make myself as unnoticeable as possible.

At least when it comes to my clothing choices. At my height, with a beard and a few facial piercings, you're gonna draw a few looks no matter how you dress.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I'm assuming Dickies is a brand name rather than the band The Dickies?
Lol, yeah. It's a popular workwear brand over here for construction workers, plumbers, electricians, and the like.

That said, it's also a brand that always been popular in the LA punk scene because you can get it cheap from surplus stores but it's sturdy enough to attach all your patches and shit to. And it's not confirmed but, being from here, it's assumed by many that the band named themselves after the brand.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i unfortunately often dress according to someone else’s tastes. but i think i try to wear what i like pre marriage that is. but that was 30+ years ago and back then i was still emulating my narcissist father and that not only makes me cringe but fill with regrets. so that was when i began shedding the suit and tie look. and somehow got stuck with the polo shirt look which i hate as much. then there’s the cargo short look that i absolutely detest and when i see so many guys wearing that or similar or even slightly different is look at them and look at myself and i realize that i am not one of them - i should not even try. this throws me precariously into a realm that i am not prepared to be in. but more and more i’m finding myself clearly there and don’t even know what it means! and i come to realize that i don’t like men’s clothing. yet meekly remain in discomfort and obedience to society and everyone else. so what/where does that leave me? i’m not prepared to do what i need to do so that is why i am interested in the clothing of other geographic locations. maybe i’d just prefer the super hot places but i don’t like the super hot either. maybe i could get away with this (i’m always drawn to these places spiritually - so why not? :

Mongolian
47B3F347-CB28-4F58-802D-9A50439E1743.jpeg
Yakut (Siberian)
C60B7906-9C05-44C9-B67E-DC7E48EDA792.jpeg 6AD6D9F9-552F-44A4-89E1-B5859A8217A7.jpeg

maybe that is quite out of my element or in. i don’t know. but i just feel smothered here. completely out of place. who knows... where am i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00