(Codeine+antidepressants and Zyprexa)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Little_me, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Before I started "psych-medications", I used pills containing codeine to relieve pain, by prescription. I have 2 packages of it left...
    The medicine description says "be careful with combining "Citodon" with antidepressants and neuroleptics". Okay, I should be careful, but it doesn't say that I should avoid the combination, right? There was another topic beneath it called "what you should avoid while on Citodon" and SSRI and neuroleptics were not listed here.
    I'm desperate and in much pain. I'm very confused and there is not much information about combining codeine with Zoloft and Zyprexa on the net. Has anyone ever tried it? Is it really dangerous?
  2. Little_me

Well, I know I should ask a doctor about it. But I don't want to call the doctor now and wake him up... I just want some advice from someone that has a clue about this.
  3. physician

physician Well-Known Member

So...the thing is
    if you take Citodon and Zoloft, as Zoloft is cytochrom CYP450 inhibitor the effect of Citodon will be minimized, so it is better to take another painkiller then Citodon, but if you are in hospital the dosage may be increased (of Citodon) so you will have the adequate effect, but in home it is dangerous to increase the dosage.

If you take Citodon and Zyprexa central nervous system and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased....what is very dangerous

so better do not mix them
  4. Little_me

Oh crap ;_;

Thanks anyway
  5. physician

physician Well-Known Member

you can always take as painkillers Aspirin (acetylsallicylic acid), metamizol, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, naproxen....well the effect is less then the narcotics (codeine), but they might help you and some are OTC.

but not paracetamol, it is not good to mix with them too.