Coffee and Depression in Women

What is your caffeine intake?

• I do not have depression, so count me out!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a man...(sorry boys) :-(

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I do not drink any form of caffeine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I drink caffeine, but no coffee.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day.

• I drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day.

• I drink 4 or more cups of coffee per day.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

plshelpme

A recent study found that women who drank 2 or 3 cups of coffee per day had a 15% decreased risk of developing depression. Those who drank 4 or more had a 20% decreased risk of developing depression. I just wanted to test out the validity of this study. You can read about this study in the articles listed below (they're the same thing, pretty much, just one is from New York Times and the other from BBC). It says that other sources of caffeine were insufficient. And it cut the study off at 6 cups of coffee per day.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/coffee-drinking-linked-to-less-depression-in-women/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15059266

I really wish the article had included men. I'm interested to see if it works both ways.

plshelpme

i am a soda addict. try to limit myself to a can per day. i decide on my meals based on what soda i want to drink.

never drink coffee. makes me feel sick. heart feels like it is beating out of my chest and my body shakes.

I drink a lot of coffee, between my husband and I, I would have to say about 3 pots a day. And I'm totally addicted to Dr Pepper, if I don't have a glass with my meals I get headaches. Weird.

Mr Stewart

And I'm totally addicted to Dr Pepper, if I don't have a glass with my meals I get headaches. Weird.
That'd be sugar and/or caffeine withdrawal.

I drink a lot of coffee too. No noticeable affect on depression symptoms. If I'm on the upswing it might provide an extra little push to get me up and about and doing things, but that's about it. Not female, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00