Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by mixedemotions, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

I have been in councilling now since Nov2007, but due to me only being 17 at the time of my 'first episode' I wasn't allowed to see an Adult pysc...
    Sooo after trying to be refereed now sincw my 19th birthday (march) my Psychotherapist has finally deciding I'm ready to move on and try a new form of treatment.

So he has referred me to the Adult Unit! (eventually) and says that I should have Cognitive Behavioural Therapy...

So any way, I was just wondering if any one else has had this before and what should I expect?

I'm a little scared and doubtful of how affective it will be for me.

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

go in with an open mind hun, if you really work at it, it will help you but you have to be willing to do the work

3. mixedemotions

At this stage, I'm ready to try any thing. I'm just so sick of being on medication. My pysc says I shouldnt think so much....
    but how can i stop, when i'm so used to do it so much

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

CBT kicks ass AND it gave me an approach that I can tackle all of life's issues. It is great and I am so glad you are going to give it a try, I bet you will find it a godsend.
    PM me if you have any specific questions and let me know how it goes.
    When do you start?

5. mixedemotions

Wow thanks Bambi, that has motivated me a little more :D I'm glad it is helpig you, I just hope it helps me too. I'm gonna go in open minded and do every thing they say/suggest

I'm a little scared but looking forward to try some thing new. I'm not sure when I'll be starting, Im still waiting for my appointment to come through the post.

my pysc said it could talk a month or so, but he said becoz its not my first form of therapy it should be put through quicker. All I know is that whilst I wait I'll carry on seeing my usually pysc, and when it comes to my new therapy i'll see both of them together for the first one, so that notes and information can be past on....
    well thats the idea i got in my head when my pysc tried explaining things

I just hope it helps me!

6. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

hi im in the first situation as you, i have my first appointment at CBT on march 8th, i dont understand why u had to be reffered to an adult psyc to be sent for CBT as i see a childrens psyc although 16 who reffered me for CBT in my first appointment, i had to wait 3 months for my appointment, i think its a good job in seeing a counellor right now, other wise who knows how i would have waited 3 months for my app, i got the impression off my psyc, that in the first session in CBT it will be lots of questions, bit like first assessment with Psyc jsut in a bit more detail, may be different for adult and childrens CBT but i jsut thought i would let u no what i knew :hug: i wish u all the best with it and i am also feeling nervous about going :sad: feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss futher, i hope it is useful for u :) (sorry to have rambled on)

7. mixedemotions

I dont know why it has took so long to be referred. It seems like I have been waiting for ever but when I first went for help I was offered councilling. it worked at first but it soon war off. I couldnt explainn why I feeling the way I was, apart from when it came to some thing that had triggered me.
    Its hard to explain. But i hope it all goes well. I'm kinda scared but excited

8. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I've had CBT, it's hard work but certainly in my case very worthwhile.
    It really isn't that scary, honest!
    The first session is a lot of questions as the therapist assesses what your needs are. CBT is a very practical approach and trust me it can work!
    Let me know how it goes and feel free to pm me is you have any questions.

Hazel

9. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I bought a book off Amazon called "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies" shortly before Christmas and from what I've read it's really helped me so far, so I've no doubt getting professional help with CBT will be even more helpful. I wouldn't worry too much, they wouldn't suggest it if it didn't help. :smile: