College anxiety

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Midnight Pi, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight Pi

Midnight Pi New Member

Hey everyone. I've been looking for a group online to talk to about my feelings. I stumbled across this forum, and I'm gonna give it a try.

Anywho, here's a little background of my life right now:

I am going to be a junior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. My hopes are to be in business of some kind. I'd like to go for Retail Management. However, there is a competitive application to get into the program that I want, and I'm getting to be a junior already. I've spent the past two years getting gen-eds that are a prerequisite to Retailing, but my GPA wasn't up to what I wanted to go in the program with. I had a tough first year. I wasn't focused.

Right now, the program's average accepted applicant gets a 3.0 GPA. I worked very hard to get from a 2.6 to where I'm at now, which is a 3.119 GPA. I've worked in retail ever since I was a sophomore in high school, so I have plenty of experience. I also am in a club on campus called Phi Beta Lambda. I also am a student supervisor at a dining facility.

If I don't get accepted, I won't know what to do with my college career. I talked to an adviser, and she said there is very limited enrollment in the major.

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I just feel like I needed to talk to someone about it. I've had a lot of anxiety over the whole thing -- I don't want to quit college, but if I can't get into what I want, what's the point of continuing?

2. BLee10

BLee10 Member

I understand what you're saying and that's very stressful. Do you have any other interests in a business field that's similar to retail? If so, even if you're not accepted into the program, you could probably switch over to a similar major with more career opportunities and not have much trouble.

You seem to have quite a bit going for you though, I hope you get in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.