College is making me more suicidal.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sadlunchable, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadlunchable

sadlunchable New Member

This is only my second semester in college, but I don't think I can do it. It causes me to self-harm, cry, and want to kill myself everyday that I have to go. I'm failing a couple classes because I have no motivation to go. After I skip a class, I don't want to go the next time because I'm afraid the teacher will call me out or something. I want to drop out more than anything, but if I do that then I might not be able to make enough money later on in life. What should I do? I really need advice.

2. NeededaName

NeededaName New Member

Hello, I'm also a college student having a hard time so I'll try to give you a little information based off of my own experiences.
    I don’t think that there is any shame in dropping out, especially if college is affecting you in such a negative way. My own father never finished college and he managed to raise three children on his own. A degree is a nice thing to have, but it doesn’t warrant whether or not you will be successful. There have been plenty of people who have become very successful without a college degree.
    I can tell you not to worry about professors calling you out for missing class. In my almost four years of school nothing like that has ever happened. Every professor is a little different, but most understand that students won’t always attend.

There is another option you could consider and that’s online classes. I’ve taken a few and I’ve enjoyed them. They give you an opportunity to learn in the comfort of your own home without having to attend class. It’s just a thought.
    I personally found myself enjoying the higher level classes more so then the freshman level classes. I found the information more interesting and that raised my own personal motivation. Of course that’s just me, everyone is different. The choice is of course yours. you should do what makes you happy :)

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I would say think carefully about the decision to drop out or stay but consider having this discussion with a counselor or mentor at your college if possible to get some input on what alternatives there may be for you - like a lighter schedule, other supports, or resources to make the adjustment easier and to help make you successful. Whatever you ultimately, it will not make or break your life, but it is something that you should get as much information as possible on before deciding (like if you drop out will you be able to resume on another semester and what about financial aide from the college in the future or currently?). This type of information may vary between different schools so checking with your college would be the best bet for facts about your options there, then discuss with other people about the wisdom of it with a basis of facts to way it against.

4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. I really agree with NYjumpmaster. In addition, some people can gain so much insight into things with the help of a counselor. While working on some issues that might be getting in the way of success. Please do not see what is going on as a defeat. Rather a call to action to reach out and get the assistance to help you get set on the right path.

5. unionfalls

unionfalls Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is awful, I went through this last fall. I am 39 so I can tell you that dropping out is not going to mean you will not be able to go back. My suicidal thoughts/depression was very sever in mid semester and I also missed most of my class time, I did take online as well so those were easier to not fall behind in. At my college, and at colleges all around, they have become much more understanding of students problems with depression. Please talk with the college about this. They will have people in student services/student counselling that will be able to provide you with help/advice on how best to proceed. They may even have a weekly support group for students that allows you to meet and discuss with other students/staff these difficulties. I know, like you have time for more involvement and it is already difficult to just get to class, I know. It will be well worth it though. I tried to plow through on my own and it did not get better. I am currently taking spring semester off to get a better handle on this as well. I wish I had been more proactive in talking with my college as they are very helpful/supportive. So were some of the professors that I was more comfortable with, mine where very understanding. In my state we also have a medical withdrawal/drop and depression is a qualifying reason for this. This does not effect your academic and financial assistance like a regular withdrawal/drop. You would have to talk with your college about it. I hope you may be able to find some help at your college. Please speak with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.