College is my stresser

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by looking4hope, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. looking4hope

looking4hope Member

Around this time last year I attempted suicide by overdosing <Mod Edit: Methods>. I was just overwhelmed with college work. Now almost a year later I am in the same place again. I am so tired of feeling like a failure and that I won't ever amount to anything or accomplish anything. I feel alone even though I'm surrounded by loved ones. I'm tired and don't know how to make myself stop feeling like I can't handle it all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

If the stress from college is getting to you, why don't you speak to your tutors and ask for extensions on your deadlines to relieve some of the pressure? You may need a note from your doctor to say that you are suffering from depression to do so, but it's not worth attempting suicide when there is a solution out there to ease the pressure of being at college.

3. looking4hope

looking4hope Member

it's not really college in general though. it's more of this feeling that i've always had that i will never amount to anything. that i'm a failure so why try.

4. Butterfly

Why do you feel like a failure? Because you can't handle stress? Getting into college proves that you are not a failure. But if you give up now and don't try to persevere with the stress of college, you will just feel much worse.

5. looking4hope

looking4hope Member

because i had to drop out of my last college because i couldn't handle it and now it's starting to feel like i'm back in the same situation. like the moment there is stress i break down and sink lower into my depression. if other people can handle the stress of classes shouldn't i be able to as well???

6. Butterfly

What you need to understand is that college/university is an extremely stressful period in your life, and everybody reacts differently to stress and handles it differently. Everybody who I went to university with wanted to quit at some point because it was so stressful, but you have to look at it rationally. Sure you could quit to relieve the stress, but in reality it achieves nothing and brings on more stress itself because then you are out of college, out of work etc. The stress of a looming deadline is only temporary, it resolves once you have handed that essay or assignment in. There will be continuous feelings of stress when deadlines are due, and that is normal. I had stressful periods at university as I was dealing with mental health problems too, and asking for extensions on deadlines definitely helped to relieve the pressure. I also had to take a 6 month break from my course due to mental and physical illness and the time out really helped and helped me to finish assignments in the mean time. There are options to get through it, and I would strongly suggest talking to your tutors about how you are feeling because they will help and support you through it.

7. looking4hope

looking4hope Member

Unfortunately the new school I'm at doesn't have much of a support system in terms of counseling. But talking to you has helped. Seeing it written in words what I already know - once the assignment is turned in stress goes down - helps. Thank you.

8. Butterfly

The best thing to do with a looming deadline is to begin your preparation early. Start planning your topic, what do you want to say? What references will you use? Look at books and journals to get an idea of the topic you are going to write and include references in your essay. Don't leave everything until the last minute. I don't know what colleges are like in the USA, but in the UK tutors can read 10% of your essay and give feedback on it to improve. Make sure you get one on one sessions with your tutor to get guidance on how to write your assignment and what direction you want to head in. Remember, this stress is normal. It's stress that every student feels, and it's perfectly healthy and normal. Just don't let it consume you. With efficient planning and making sure you're not leaving things too late, it will minimise the stress drastically.

9. random33

random33 Well-Known Member

Are you studying something that you like ? It's hard to find motivation if you are doing something you dislike.
    I don't know where you are from, but in today's world at least where I'm from the job market is miserable, with only a few degrees being worth the time, so there are a lot of people studying something they hate in order to have a shot at getting a decent job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.