College - the worst decision ever

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Fiddy, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiddy

Fiddy New Member

I graduated from college last year from a highly respected university. I was told that my degree would be in demand and that there was no way I wouldn't get a job coming out of college. Fast forward and the recession hits, I've been living at home with a huge amount of debt that I've been barely able to ding anything out of with my $8.40 an hour McDs job

I don't know how much more of this I can take, I've applied to everything in the world and haven't even heard back from anyone. I want to kill myself, this pain and embarrassment has gone on too long. I don't know what to do, I've tried everything I could to come out of college successful, but life had other plans. I didn't even party or socialize that much in college either, I just studied and worked my butt off because I thought that's what was needed. I was wrong. I am screwed, I want to die. If it weren't for the shame it'd put on my family I would end myself in a heart beat.
  2. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

Saw your post and I have to say it struck a nerve. I feel for you. It has to be tough right now.

But I don't think you should feel ashamed. You didn't cause this recession. And despite the situation, you're working, taking care of yourself, and doing what you can to pay the bills. There's honor in that, even though I know it has to be a struggle. It has to be frustrating. But you're doing what is necessary at the moment, and that is admirable.

The moment won't last for ever. The work you did in college doesn't have to go to waste. You learned skills that will allow you to succeed when things do get a little better and you are able to find a job in a field you want. You are continuing to look for work that you want. You won't be stuck working at McDonald's forever.

I don't know if I can really help you. But I hope you are able to keep going until you find the job and life you are looking for.
  3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Life is tough for many right now, and I know that money is the root of it all. If I had learned one thing in this life it is that money is meaningless. I hate it. I do not mind having it to spend to get other things that I need or want, but to have it sitting there around me all the time is loathsome. So I spend it as fast as I can so that I do not have to think about it. Funny I only get piece of mind when it is gone and I am broke again. I am sure this is the opposite for you. I used to be a slave of money. I did whatever I felt I had to, to get it, but money no matter how much I had only brought me grief. I say give what you can to pay off your debt, and don't worry about it. They cannot throw you in jail as long as you are making an effort. Find what joy you can have while you have it, do not allow money to ruin your life in worries and cares. It is truly meaningless. I can also see this as a humbling experience. You came out of college expecting to be a somebody by what you have learned only to learn that you are still like the rest of us. It is not worth death of your body, but it can be a beneficial death of your ego. Money is not everything, and sometimes we have to learn this the hard way. I know I did. My suggestion to you is to search out the meaningful things in this life. I have found you do not need to be a rich big shot to have everything you need for happiness. As the saying goes; "The best things in this life are free." Blessings..
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

You know, you should not feel embarrassed that you actually finished University! That is HARD to do! Feel proud and fuck anyone who thinks you wasted your time!
    The same thing happens to many many people who go to college and university; they seem to think they'll get themselves a great career right away after graduating. The fact is that very few people actually get the opportunity to do exactly what they plan to do once they leave school.

You need the opportunity to prove that you know what you are doing and you're willing to work hard.

My sister ended up in a job that had absolutely nothing to do with her degree- for some reason though; they hired her *because* of her degree. Why? Because it said something about her character--- she took the time and effort to go through all of the schooling she needed and she worked hard. That fact alone put her above any others in line for the position.

Try not to get depressed about your education. You've done so well and you worked hard, right? I'm sure someone will see that and give you an opportunity to move forward.

ah-- and as an afterthought: I've also applied everywhere in my town several times over the past year. Even MCDONALDS will not hire me. They'll hire a greasy teenager with no job experience, but not me. sad.
  5. flowingriver

flowingriver Well-Known Member

Fiddy, I agree with Tim one hundred percent. You will be fine in time, it will pass.
  6. jenniferelaine

jenniferelaine Well-Known Member

I know several people in this situation. They graduated from college right on the edge of the economy tanking. I was *very* fortunate to graduate and find a job in my field (on my first interview, actually, but I sent out a lot of CV's before landing that interview!).

But I know lots of fresh-out-of-college types who don't have jobs. Lawyers, statisticians, psychologists, and so on. You can either go back to school or keep doing what you're doing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.